- Table View
- List View
Gail takes her horse Candlelight out to explore the woods, but suddenly she's swept into the past! Can she return to the present, or will she and Candy be stuck in the past forever?
Cindy thought the summer job at the Ashford stables was a dream: working with the young riders, grooming and training their ponies, and attending the shows where some of the finest horses in the country were competing. But slowly the dream cracks and eventually shatters, as Cindy is painfully forced to acknowledge that for some people, winning is all. Jean Slaughter Doty, an accomplished horsewoman who knows the show world well, has written a taut, hard-hitting story combining accurate details on training horses with a provocative, often shocking look at the professional world of horse competition. As Cindy narrates the events of a remarkable summer, horse-lovers as well as novices will be captivated by a thrilling sport and empathize with this rugged young girl as The Crumb draws to an electrifying climax.
It was like a dream come true. Abby had always loved riding, and now a lanky brown horse named Sandy was giving her the chance she needed to break into the exciting world of show-jumping. After she accidentally discovers his incredible jumping prowess, his owners ask Abby to show him in competitions. This fantastic jumper makes it all seem easy, and they finish first in class after class, becoming overnight celebrities. But suddenly the horse turns violent and Abby's dream is over. Sandy got Abby into the big time. Now the rest is up to her--if she wants it badly enough. Does she have enough skill and discipline to make it as a top-class rider without him? Abby doesn't know--until Sandy helps her find the answer. Dark Horse is an engrossing story set in the demanding world of horse-show competition by the well-known author of many popular novels for young readers.
When the starving orphan puppy she saves turns out to be a valuable Keeshond, Linda experiences the grief of giving him up to his rightful owner and the joy of watching him trained as a champion show dog. Images are described.
It was a perfect Virginia spring morning, sweet with the smell of new buds and warming earth ... I wished savagely that it was a gray, miserable day, but I had no more control over the weather than I did over what was happening to our farm and the horses. Thirteen-year-old Stephany Reed has grown up on Thunder Rock Farm, where for many years her family has bred and raised Thoroughbred racehorses. And in the last few months, since her father's death, she and her older sister, Camilla, have kept the farm going on their own. Caring for the broodmares and stallions and the newborn foals is hard work but satisfying, and the two girls even begin to hope that they will be able to pay off the debts that threaten Thunder Rock's future. Then, suddenly, disaster strikes, endangering the very lives of the horses they love... Jean Slaughter Doty's engrossing novel offers an insider's view of life on a Virginia horse farm as it tells the story of two girls' struggle to keep their family business alive.
Her pony's accident provides Cassie with an introduction to show horses.
Ginny has always dreamed of having her very own pony, so when her parents agree to rent her a pony for the summer, Ginny is thrilled! But when Mokey arrives, she is shaggy, dirty, and half-starved-not at all what Ginny had in mind. Can Ginny still have the summer of her dreams?
For an awful moment, Jennifer wondered whether she had made a mistake. She'd never taken care of a pony completely by herself and here was Melissa, so much bigger than she had seemed back at the riding stable, acting tired and fussy after her long trip in the horse trailer, and depending on Jennifer to make her comfortable in the old cow barn. Maybe she shouldn't have agreed to take the pony for the summer. But having a pony of her own, even a borrowed one, turns Jennifer's summer into a dream come true. Through long, bright days, she and the gentle Melissa explore the countryside and make friends with a herd of beautiful show ponies that run free in a fenced-in valley. The dream becomes a nightmare, however, when the ponies' lives are threatened and only Jennifer and Melissa can save them.
GINNY FINALLY HAS the pony she has always dreamed of, and now she and Mokey are looking forward to a winter full of new adventures. Together, they explore the snow-filled woods and even learn to drive a sleigh. As usual, Mokey has plenty of surprises in store, including one that Ginny can't believe: Mokey is expecting a foal! This classic Jean Slaughter Doty tale--now with all-new illustrations by Ruth Sanderson--is back in print after more than 20 years for yet another generation of riders to enjoy.
While riding in the mountains, Kelly finds an orphaned foal that seems to belong to a breed of horses supposedly extinct for thousands of years. Is Zipper really an early ancestor of modern horses, and does she hold the key to a disease that is killing local horses?
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.