- Table View
- List View
For many people throughout the world, no other figure more embodies the heart of Buddhist compassion than His Holiness the Dalai Lama. As the wisdom of Tibetan Buddhism has become better known over the past several years, the Dalai Lama has become more and more of an important spiritual leader for many in the West. But while His Holiness has spoken extensively about the practice of Tibetan Buddhism, he has never before directly addressed the general questions that confront the world in the way he does in this special series of dialogues. French film writer Jean-Claude Carrière's conversations with the Dalai Lama cover the various issues and problems that challenge world civilization today--including women's rights, education, terrorism, the population explosion, environmental dangers, and an increase in both random and organized violence. The Dalai Lama exhibits his characteristic warmth and clarity of thought throughout each of these discussions, but what is most valuable is his ability to cut through to the essence of each issue and offer insightful guidance. From these precious talks come profound wisdom and pragmatic challenges for humanity's move into the next millennium.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.