The earliest standards for the game of golf included just 338 words and thirteen rules, which included what to do if your ball had the misfortune of falling into "watery filth" and how to proceed if your ball was stopped by a horse. The official Rules of Golf have since grown to more than 40,000 words and cover everything from marking a scorecard to determining whether a club has the appropriate roughness. Two hundred years of revisions have rendered these Rules opaque and stylistically inconsistent. Those intricacies can be intimidating for anyone hoping to pick up the game and frustrating for longtime players who just want to settle a dispute. Both lawyers and avid golfers, Jeffrey S. Kuhn and Bryan A. Garner recognized the difficulties that the language of the Rules of Golf has created, especially in a sport that expects players to call penalties on themselves. By reworking the Rules line by line, word by word, they have produced an accessible resource that no golfer--from the duffer to the pro--should be without. This new edition of The Rules of Golf in Plain English is fully aligned with the latest United States Golf Association updates and continues to be published with their permission and encouragement. Clear and concise, this reference will allow players to spend more time playing through and less time scratching their heads.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.