- Table View
- List View
Defusing Armageddon provides a behind-the-scenes look at NEST's personnel, operations, and detection and disablement equipment & attempts at nuclear extortion, lost and stolen nuclear material and al Qaeda's quest for nuclear weapons.
The sixth edition of this comprehensive overview of the United States intelligence apparatus is updated to reflect changes in organizational structures and processes as well as to take advantage of the latest publicly available sources on intelligence organizations, management and methods. Beginning with an introduction on basic intelligence principles, the volume covers national intelligence organizations, Defense Department intelligence and the DIA, service branch intelligence organizations, civilian organizations, imagery, image processing and signals intelligence, space surveillance, human intelligence assets, cooperation with foreign services, analysis, counterintelligence, covert action, national intelligence community management, Defense Intelligence management and managing intelligence collections, covert action and information access. The work includes black and white photographs, sample documents and organizations charts as well as an essential glossary of acronyms. Richelson is a senior fellow at the National Security Archive in Washington D. C. Annotation ©2011 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Richelson (National Security Archives) traces the efforts of the US Central Intelligence Agency to develop and apply advanced technology for collecting information and other spy purposes since it was founded in 1947, the creation and evolution of the Directorate beginning in the early 1960s, and its activities ranging from developing reconnaissance systems to supporting clandestine operations. Annotation c. Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.