- Table View
- List View
Alex "A-Rod" Rodriguez of the New York Yankees has been breaking records since he joined the Major Leagues in 1994. In 2007, he made history again by becoming the youngest MLB player ever to hit 500 career home runs. This American League MVP and Gold Glove infielder is consistently at the top of the league in home runs and runs batted in. His amazing combination of offensive and defensive skills has made him one of baseball's highest-paid players. Follow A-Rod from his Miami childhood through his transformation into a superstar.
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger set an amazing record in only his second year in the NFL. In late 2005, the twenty-four-year-old led the Pittsburgh Steelers on a wild ride to Super Bowl XL. With 11 wins, the Steelers just made a playoff spot. Next Ben and the team defeated three strong opponents on the road. Then in the big game, Ben became the youngest quarterback ever to achieve a Super Bowl victory. Having reached the top of his sport so early, many wondered what Big Ben would do next. A motorcycle accident and surgery almost took Ben out of play for 2006. He recovered, but his 2006 season had ups and downs. Still Pittsburgh fans are eager for more great play from this hugely talented young quarterback.
Many thought the Boston Red Sox were cursed. But in 2004, Curt Schilling made history when he helped the Red Sox win their first World Series Championship in 86 years! Pitching with a badly injured ankle, Curt amazed the world with his toughness and determination. But Curt's career has had its ups and downs. It took him several years to become one of baseball's best big-game pitchers. And he spent many years playing for losing teams before finally winning it all. Learn more about the life and career of his amazing athlete.
At the towering height of 7' 0", forward Dirk Nowitzki is one of the tallest players in the NBA. But Dirk also has a light touch and is one of the best shooters in the league. Born in Germany where soccer is king, Dirk didn't begin playing basketball until he was almost a teenager. In his short time in the game, Dirk has proven himself to be one of the best players in the world. Learn more about this athlete's life and amazing career.
Before the Golden Gate Bridge was built, people in San Francisco took a ferry across the water to get to Marin County. Now they drive across. How long is the bridge? and how did workers build it?
Growing up in St. Paul, Minnesota, catcher Joe Mauer dreamed of playing baseball for his hometown team, the Minnesota Twins. Through hard work, he perfected one of the best swings in baseball and became the top draft pick in 2000, selected by the Twins. In 2006, Joe became the first catcher to ever win the batting title in the American League. With his good eye at the plate and a powerful throwing arm, Joe has a bright future ahead. Follow his amazing path from the fields of St. Paul all the way to major league stardom.
Kevin Garnett was the first player in 20 years to go straight from high school to the NBA. By his second season, he had become one of the NBA's most popular players. One of the highest-paid players in basketball history, Garnett has regularly led the Minnesota Timberwolves to the playoffs.
U.S. swimmer Michael Phelps more than met the world's expectations at the 2008 Olympic Games. He already had eight medals--two bronze and six gold--from the 2004 Olympics. He left Beijing with a history-making eight more golds--one for every race he entered. His fourteen golds are the record number for any Olympian--ever. In addition, he set seven world records at the Games. Follow this hard-working swimmer from his days as a talented seven-year-old through his amazing performance in Beijing.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.