- Table View
- List View
This is a book written by spinal cord injured women who want to share their experiences with newly injured women and their friends and relatives, and to impress our concerns upon the general public and professionals. It is part of a growing movement to bring disability issues which previously have been kept private - behind the closed doors of individual lives - out into the open. We hope there will be many more books like this one to follow.
Drawing on her own and other experiences of disability, Jenny Morris, editor of Able Lives, confronts the nature of the prejudice against disabled people. Pride Against Prejudice challenges the reality of being different, covering current and historical debates on the quality of disabled people's lives; the way disability is represented within Western culture; institutionalisation and independence; feminist research and 'community care'; and the politics of the disability movement. For too long, non-disabled people have defined the experience of disability and had control over disabled people's lives. Pride Against Prejudice has grown out of the increasing collective organisation of disabled people and is part of an emerging disability culture. Jenny Morris argues her case with energy, authority and conviction.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.