- Table View
- List View
For courses in Mathematics in Special Education. Providing teachers with the information needed to design supplemental mathematics instruction and to evaluate and modify commercially developed math programs, Designing Effective Mathematics Instruction, Fourth Edition, gives teachers systematic procedures and teaching strategies to augment instruction. The new edition discusses the history and components of the direct instruction approach to teaching mathematics, as well as relevant and current research skills and techniques required for effective mathematics instruction, including strategies for pacing lessons, correcting errors, and diagnosing and remedying error patterns. Designing Effective Mathematics Instruction also contains Instructional Sequence and Assessment Charts for primary, intermediate, and remedial teachers, which serve as diagnostic tests or as a basis for constructing goals and objectives for students.
Teaching Struggling and At-Risk Readers: A Direct Instruction Approach is designed to provide specific information to assist educators in being effective teachers of reading with all of their students. This three-part book provides information on incorporating instructional design and delivery principles into daily instruction for students at the beginning and primary stages of reading. It discusses: Structuring initial teaching procedures so teaching presentations are clear and foster a high degree of interaction between teachers and students. Using language and demonstration techniques that can be understood by all students. Sequencing the instruction of reading content to ensure essential skills and knowledge are taught in an aligned and coherent manner. Using techniques that provide adequate practice and review for students in developing high levels of fluency and accuracy.
To write well, students must be able to think well. With Reasoning and Writing, higher-level thinking is integrated with writing instruction to help students express ideas efficiently and effectively. Reasoning and Writing teaches: Analysis and logic to improve the ways students receive and convey information Thinking and reasoning skills necessary for critical reading Grammar, usage, and mechanics skills required for clear communication Skills essential for developing complete, effective sentences and for writing strong paragraphs
Expressive Writing helps students learn to express ideas by writing sentences, paragraphs and stories that articulate precisely what the writer wishes to say. The program addresses essential skills with four instructional strands - mechanics, sentence writing, paragraph and story writing and editing. Use Expressive Writing 2 for students who are ready to learn to: write and correctly punctuate compound and complex sentences; produce paragraphs with a topic sentence, supporting details and a conclusion; edit consistently for punctuation, tense and unclear pronouns; revise to improve structure, coherence and clarity.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.