Modern life seems to have a soundtrack for everything. Even crime.Crime + Music collects twenty darkly intense, music-related noir stories by world-renowned mystery authors Brendan DuBois, Alison Gaylin, Craig Johnson, David Liss, Val McDermid, Gary Phillips, Peter Robinson and, from the music world, Galadrielle Allman, author of Please Be With Me: A Song for My Father, Duane Allman and award-winning songwriter-novelist Willy Vlautin. Edited by novelist and Wall Street Journal rock and pop music critic Jim Fusilli.The lively anthology's chilling, sinister tales tap into the span of rock and pop history, ranging from Peter Blauner's heart-wrenching "The Last Temptation of Frankie Lymon" to Fusilli's "Boy Wonder," set in the world of contemporary electronic dance music; from Naomi Rand's "The Misfits," a punk-rock revenge saga to Mark Haskell Smith's menacingly comedic "1968 Pelham Blue SG Jr."; from Reed Farrel Coleman's study of a one-hit wonder, "Look at Me/Don't Look at Me" to Erica Wright's account of betrayal among minor talents in "A Place You're Likely to Find"-and many more.In the hands of these modern masters of mystery fiction, Crime + Music exposes the nasty side of the world of popular music, revealing it to be the perfect setting for noir.
A smart, sophisticated mystery involving theft and bizarre characters, set in New York City.<P> Marley Z. is a hip, outgoing, and confident New York City kid just starting eighth grade. When her best friend is accused of stealing a priceless violin on display at The Juilliard School, Marley steps in to prove her friend's innocence. So begins her mad dash around the city--from the Metropolitan Museum, to stately doormen buildings, to a violin teacher's artsy brownstone, to her favorite neighborhood Italian restaurant.<P> Suspects and motives appear and vanish, but intrepid Marley won't stop until she has the right answers. Smart, quick, and lively, this book introduces a great new detective and the city she loves.
From International Thriller Writers comes Watchlist: two powerful novellas featuring the same thrill cast of characters in one major suspenseful package. The Chopin Manuscript and then The Copper Bracelet were a collaboration by some of the world's greatest thriller writers, including Lee Child, Joseph Finder, Lisa Scottoline, and Jeffery Deaver, who conceived the characters and set the plot in motion. The other authors each wrote a chapter and Deaver then completed what he started, bringing both novellas to their startling conclusions.In the first novella, The Chopin Manuscript, former war crimes investigator Harold Middleton possesses a previously unknown score by Frederic Chopin. But he is unaware that, locked within its handwritten notes, lies a secret that now threatens the lives of thousands of Americans. As he races from Poland to America to uncover the mystery of the manuscript, Middleton will be accused of murder, pursued by federal agents, and targeted by assassins. But the greatest threat will come from a shadowy figure from his past: the man known only as Faust. Harold Middleton returns in The Copper Bracelet-the explosive sequel to The Chopin Manuscript-as he's drawn into an international terror plot that threatens to send India and Pakistan into full-scale nuclear war. Careening from Nice to London and Moscow to Kashmir to prevent nuclear disaster, Middleton is unaware that his prey has changed and the act of terror is far more diabolical than he knows. Will he discover the identity of the Scorpion in time to halt an event that will pit the United States, China, and Russia against each other at the brink of World War III?
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.