- Table View
- List View
Joan Comay's Who's Who in the Old Testament followed the history of Jewish people up to the end of the First Book of Maccabees in 135 B.C. In Who's Who in Jewish History she continues this fascinating story from that point up to the present day, a period of over twenty centuries. Offering entries on the lives of nearly one thousand men and women, this guide provides and in-depth look at Jews who have made a significant contribution to the history and thought of their own people, individual Jews who have been eminent in the general life and culture of their time, and non-Jews who have had a special impact on Jewish history. Here in brilliant procession are scholars, courtiers, and martyrs, from Simeon Bar-Giora (leader of the first Jewish revolt in the first century B.C.) through Aaron of Lincoln (the twelfth-century English money lender) to Golda Meir (the fourth prime minister of Israel) and Elie Wiesel (Holocaust survivor and world renowned author). Including a special chronology of Jewish history, Who's Who in Jewish History is an intriguing parade of celebrated individuals from almost every area of human achievement.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.