- Table View
- List View
Joan Comay's Who's Who in the Old Testament followed the history of Jewish people up to the end of the First Book of Maccabees in 135 B.C. In Who's Who in Jewish History she continues this fascinating story from that point up to the present day, a period of over twenty centuries. Offering entries on the lives of nearly one thousand men and women, this guide provides and in-depth look at Jews who have made a significant contribution to the history and thought of their own people, individual Jews who have been eminent in the general life and culture of their time, and non-Jews who have had a special impact on Jewish history. Here in brilliant procession are scholars, courtiers, and martyrs, from Simeon Bar-Giora (leader of the first Jewish revolt in the first century B.C.) through Aaron of Lincoln (the twelfth-century English money lender) to Golda Meir (the fourth prime minister of Israel) and Elie Wiesel (Holocaust survivor and world renowned author). Including a special chronology of Jewish history, Who's Who in Jewish History is an intriguing parade of celebrated individuals from almost every area of human achievement.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.