- Table View
- List View
32 Cadillacs is the fourth novel in Joe Gores' delightful series about the San Francisco private eye firm Dan Kearny Associates. This time the squad must recover 32 Cadillacs stolen from their largest client by Gypsies to be a casket for their dying king. The result is a fast, furious, funny, nonstop action tale with esoteric Gypsy lore and hard-edged investigation.
In 1953 Pierce Duncan leaves college and sets off to see America. From Georgia, to Texas and on to San Francisco, Dunce's travels take him along back streets and freight lines where he meets beautiful women, dangerous men, and murder. In California, he teams up with the dynamic head of a private investigation agency where he will learn about being a man - and about brutal betrayal. Gores has written a violence-marked love story of a lost time in America.
The likable pack of operatives for Daniel Kearny Associates of San Francisco return for a fun romp, working fast repos on a list of classic cars missing after a raid on a shady auto dealer. Told vignette-style, with a huge cast of characters and many subplots, this novel is anchored by the adventures of the beautiful Gypsy witch Yana.
Things aren't going well for the tough private eyes of San Francisco-based Dan Kearny Associates. Marriages are falling apart, associates are going to jail, and dowagers are demanding sexual favors. Before long, DKA's cases begin to turn up murder and mayhem, bodies and blood, all engineered by someone who would like to see a troubled agency rendered null and void.
Once Eddie Dain had a life: a beautifl wife, a happy young son, and a thriving business catching soft-core bad guys by computer. Then he hung on to an odd-looking case and made a mysterious enemy - one whose calling cards were two men with shotguns. Now Eddie is reborn - as a dead man. Known by the single name of Dain, he pumps up his body and his psyche as he follows a trail of sweaty white-collar crime to the steamy Louisiana bayous. Here, in this torrid landscape, is a woman on the run who can lead him to what he wants more than anything; the man who took everything from Eddie Dain.
It began with the murder of the adulterous wife of a mild-mannered professor. Then a corrupt cop was gunned down in a phone booth. After that, the killer who called himself Raptor moved through a list of players, playboys, and mobsters from Palm Springs to Minnesota. And the final truth about his death trip will not be revealed until the last victim is claimed.
When Sam Spade gets drawn into the Maltese Falcon case, we know what to expect: straight talk, hard questions, no favours, and no way for anyone to get underneath the protective shell he wears like a second skin. We know that his late partner, Miles Archer, was a son of a bitch; that Spade is sleeping with Archer's wife. What we don't know is how Spade became who he is. Now SPADE & ARCHER completes the picture. 1921: Spade sets up his own agency in San Francisco and clients quickly start coming through the door. The next seven years will see him dealing with booze runners, water-front thugs, stowaways, banking swindlers, gold smugglers, bumbling cops, and the illegitimate daughter of Sun Yat-sen; with murder, other men's mistresses, and long-missing money. He'll bring in Archer as a partner, though it was Archer who stole his girl while he was fighting in World War I. He'll tangle with a villain who never loses his desire to make Spade pay big for ruining what should've been the perfect crime. And he'll fall in love - though it won't turn out for the best. It never does with dames ... SPADE & ARCHER is a gritty, pitch-perfect, hard-boiled novel - the work of a master mystery writer - destined to become a classic in its own right.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.