- Table View
- List View
3 short novels of future war - The Scapegoat by Cherryh, Seasons by Haldeman, and Cordon Sanitaire by Zahn.
Tale about 2 aliens roaming the Earth for millennia, and an artifact dredged up from the ocean floor calling to them
This is a collection of two novellas and several shorter pieces by one of the most gifted writers of our generation in SF.
From David Weber to David Feintuch to David Drake, military writers have exploded into the science fiction scene and continue to leave their marks. Now, bestselling Hammer's Slammers creator David Drake pays homage to his own sub-genre by gathering 10 classic takes of men at arms by SF Greats, including Harry Harrison, Joe Haldeman, Richard C. Matheson, Gene Wolfe, Keith Laumer and David Drake himself.
When the Forever War was published in the early 1980s it took the science fiction field by storm and won both the Hugo and the Nebula Awards. Twenty years later Haldeman published Forever Peace which won the same two awards. Now in Forever Free, Haldeman continues his exploration of the nature of war, the meaning of life and the value of freedom. this is a remarkable series and a remarkable book.
Imagine yourself conscripted to fight an Interstellar war that willlast...years? or centuries? It all depends on your frame of reference. This is the story of Private Mandella, who, with his warrior brothers and sisters, is sent through "collapsars" to different planets to fight the Taurans -- an interstellar race at war with mankind. As his time passes in months, centuries pass on Earth -- the lovers, friends and family he knew are dead, as he continues to fight for humanity. This is the hardest of hard science fiction. In this book,Haldeman explores the problem of fighting an interstellar at faster-than-light speed while centuries go by on Earth. This is the author's Deffinitive edition of this Hugo and Nebulaaward-winning masterpiece.
Thirteen science fiction and fantasy stories by a well known writer, including commentary on the origin and ideas behind the stories including: Counterpoint, Anniversary Project, The Mazel Tov Revolution, To Howard Hughes: a Modest Proposal, A Mind of His Own, All the Universe in a Mason Jar, The Private War of Private Jacob, A Time to Live, JuryRigged, Summer's Lease, 26 Days on Earth, Armaja Das, Tricentennial, and an afterward.
This is as much a book about the century just gone as it is a book about time travel and its perils.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.