- Table View
- List View
JORGE and LAURA POSADA were accustomed to being on top of the world. After a romantic courtship, the lives of these newlyweds were filled with unimaginable success and joy. But all of that changed when their first-born son was diagnosed with craniosynostosis, a birth defect that causes an abnormally shaped skull. Their priorities swiftly changed, as Jorge and Laura navigated their way through the challenges of their son's diagnosis and eventual treatment, which has included eight major surgeries. Laura stayed home with her son, while Jorge suffered in silence as he tried to stay strong under the pressure to perform as a Yankees baseball player.Amid their fear, confusion, and anxiety as young parents, they decided to keep their son's sickness a secret to protect him from a media frenzy, but in time they realized it was this very celebrity status that would allow them to make a difference--not only for patients with craniosynostosis but for people suffering from any type of illness. They decided to open the Jorge Posada Foundation to help kids with the same condition, a decision that gave new meaning to their lives. Before being a celebrity athlete or a lawyer, Jorge and Laura are a father and a mother, a husband and a wife--and the fortitude and foundations of their family values have helped them face even the worst of days. The Beauty of Love is more than a memoir about dealing with childhood illness--it is a heartfelt and uplifting illustration of how a couple can endure stress and strife and come out stronger on the other side.
La historia definitiva de una de las grandes dinastías en la historia del béisbol, los New York Yankees de Joe Torre Cuando Joe Torre tomó posesión como manager de los Yankees en 1996, no habían ganado una Serie Mundial en dieciocho años. Durante ese tiempo, diecisiete managers habían intentado hacerse con las riendas del equipo de béisbol más famoso de América. Todos fueron despedidos por George Steinbrenner, el dueño del equipo. Después de doce exitosas temporadas --con doce apariciones consecutivas en los playoffs, seis títulos de la Liga Americana y cuatro Series Mundiales-- Torre dejó los Yankees como el más querido manager del béisbol. Su mayor cualidad fue saber tratar a jugadores como Alex Rodríguez, Mariano Rivera, Jason Giambi, Derek Jeter, Roger Clemens o Randy Johnson. Aquí, por primera vez, Joe Torre y Tom Verducci llevan a los lectores dentro de los propios Yankees, mostrando lo que de verdad hizo falta para mantener al equipo en lo más alto del béisbol mundial.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Written as a third-person narrative with "Sports Illustrated" senior baseball writer Tom Verducci, "The Yankee Years" is a thoughtful, utterly honest, and gripping behind-the-scenes look at the Yankees' organization from Joe Torre, the most successful--and most respected--baseball manager of the modern era.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.