- Table View
- List View
In the wake of the Meme Wars that swept the world two generations before, fifty-five-year-old Currie Curran, his wife, and almost everyone on Earth have in their minds a copy of Resuna, biological ' software that grants its users limited telepathy and enforces f a kind of universal cooperativeness within the global collective of "One True." In his younger days, Currie hunted "cowboys"--people who had unplugged from the global net in order to evade One True. Now Currie is called back from retirement and charged with the task of capturing Lobo, the last cowboy still at large. Thoroughly equipped, comprehensively connected to the global net, Currie set out to bring Lobo in. Instead, Lobo captures Currie and manages to deprogram him. Thrown back on his own natural intelligence and courage for the first time in twenty-five years, Currie finds himself in a battle of minds with his captor...with results that will change the lives of everyone on Earth.
Fifteen hundred years in the future: after seven wars with the alien Rubahy, after settlement upon settlement and resettlement of every piece of dirt available, after every imaginable religious and political upheaval. Mars has been terraformed for a thousand years, glaciers cover Europe, central Africa is Earth's breadbasket, some space freighters have twentieth-generation crews. More people live in space than on Earth. And no one has found a way around the light-speed limit; the human race is still confined to one solar system, though now we share it with the Rubahy.Six thousand human nations, ranging from the mighty Hive to puny tribes of a few thousand. Hundreds of zybots, secret conspiracies to reshape all of human history. Thousands of sovereign economic monopolies ranging from powerful the powerful Duchy of Uranium to the tiny Barony of Paper Clips. The complex faith of the Wager, with its hundreds of variants and heresies. A world of unimaginable complexity. Into this world steps Jak Jinnaka, eighteen years old, a handsome intelligent natural athlete with secrets unknown even to himself in his past, and one thing on his mind: "Dude, where's the party?" Then thugs kidnap Jak's girlfriend, beating Jak and his friends to a pulp, Jak's kindly old uncle turns out to be a spymaster, Jak is suddenly on a secret mission -- and then the weird parts begin to happen. Looks like he found the party ....
A Martian monarch has taken possession of a priceless relic: the lifelog diary of the mysterious messiah who founded the Wager, the religion that forms the basis of all interstellar society. The Hive Intel conglomerate wants the lifelog and hires Jak to get it. It's a simple job, until other spies-including Ambassador Dujuv, Uncle Sib, and Jak's evil ex-girlfriend-arrive on Mars and turn the assignment into a wild ride of mind control, murder, and looming interplanetary war. For the lifelog contains a devastating secret that can overturn the status quo of whole worlds-a secret that Hive Intel will suppress at all costs. In the past, Jak has completed missions by betraying his friends. Now in order to succeed, Jak Jinnaka must betray the entire human race...
When Jak gets word that his ex-girlfriend, Princess Shyf of Greenworld, is in danger, Jak and his panth buddy Dujuv join the Royal Palace Guard and race across the solar system to save her. But they quickly discover that they're the ones who need to be rescued--from Shyf, who has decided that she likes absolute power. Original.
Karl has decided that senior year is going to be different. He is going to get out of the Madman Underground for good. He is going to act and be normal. But normal, of course, is relative.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.