- Table View
- List View
What does the world want? According to John Battelle, a company that answers that question--in all its shades of meaning--can unlock the most intractable riddles of business and arguably of human culture itself. And for the past few years, that's exactly what Google has been doing. But The Search offers much more than the inside story of Google's triumph. It's a big-picture book about the past, present, and future of search technology and the enormous impact it's starting to have on marketing, media, pop culture, dating, job hunting, international law, civil liberties, and just about every other sphere of human interest. .
"A must-read for anyone endeavoring to understand one of the most important trends of this generation: organizing the world's information and making it universally accessible." - Mary Meeker
Ever since we first introduced the term Web 2.0, people have been asking, What TMs next? Assuming that Web 2.0 was meant to be a kind of software version number (rather than a statement about the second coming of the Web after the dotcom bust), we TMre constantly asked about Web 3.0. Is it the semantic web? The sentient web? Is it the social web? The mobile web? Is it some form of virtual reality? It is all of those, and more. The Web is no longer a collection of static pages of HTML that describe something in the world. Increasingly, the Web is the world "everything and everyone in the world casts an information shadow, an aura of data which, when captured and processed intelligently, offers extraordinary opportunity and mindbending implications. Web Squared is our way of exploring this phenomenon and giving it a name.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.