- Table View
- List View
Beloved, religion is the great bond of human society; and it were well if itself were kept within the bond of unity; and that it may so be, let us, according to the text, use our utmost endeavours "to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace." These words contain a counsel and a caution: the counsel is, That we endeavour the unity of the Spirit; the caution is, That we do it in the bond of peace; as if I should say, I would have you live in unity, but yet I would have you to be careful that you do not purchase unity with the breach of charity. John Bunyan was an Christian writer, preacher and. Reformed Baptist.
In this classic work by John Bunyan (author of Pilgrim's Progress), the author discusses what it means to fear (reverence, stand in awe of) God. This edition is a reprint, in which changes have been made to spelling, grammar and formatting. An introduction and outline are included at the beginning. Study questions for each chapter have also been added at the end of the book.
This is the first critical edition of Bunyan's dark and vigorous delineation of provincial vice, a book he described as "the Life and Death of the Ungodly and their travel from this world to Hell. " First published in 1680, his tale of the greedy, lustful, and exploitative shopkeeper Badman is a vivid account of small-town life in the late 17th century, providing in its realism a precursor to the novel while embodying in its moral abstraction the values and mythology of 17th-century Puritan society. Based on the only authentic extant first edition of 1680, this new edition includes a full introduction and commentary.
Bunyan's allegory has been translated into more than 100 languages and enjoyed by millions of all ages and backgrounds. Now you can enjoy a revised edition that retains Bunyan's style and form, while translating archaic words, phrases, and expressions into modern English. When you read The New Pilgrim's Progress, you will discover that both this enduring classic and your Bible will read like new books to you.
Here is one of the most influential Christian allegorical stories ever written. In it we follow Christian on his journey to the Celestial City. The journey is fraught with peril and Christian must overcome many obstacles and temptations along the way. Powerful, inspirational, and thought provoking.
It is a masterpiece of religious allegory transformed into intense drama, its style unsurpassed, its characters superbly individualized, indelibly alive, and as memorable as the landmarks on Christian's perilous journey toward salvation.
Now available together in a single volume, these two classics were written by seventeenth-century England's most famous prisoner of conscience, Baptist John Bunyan (1628-1688). Imprisoned for twelve years for his preaching, he wrote first a dramatic allegory of Christian life and followed it with the compelling story of his own conversion. Both have been beloved by generations of spiritual seekers and still speak powerfully to modern readers. Pilgrim's Progress recounts the perilous journey of Christian from the City of Destruction to the Celestial City, and in its second part, follows the journey of his wife, Christiana. Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners is Bunyan's fervent memoir of his own spiritual regeneration. Both works are enduring masterpieces of English prose, uniting the simple power of Biblical language with the vivid bluntness of untutored speech.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.