- Table View
- List View
Soon to be a major motion picture, directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman, "Invictus" tells the story of Nelson Mandela's ambitious plan to use South Africa's national rugby team to engage the still deeply divided country.
Equal parts freedom fighter and statesman, Nelson Mandela bestrode the world stage for the past three decades, building a legacy that places him in the pantheon of history's most exemplary leaders.As a foreign correspondent based in South Africa, author John Carlin had unique access to Mandela during the post-apartheid years when Mandela faced his most daunting obstacles and achieved his greatest triumphs. Carlin witnessed history as Mandela was released from prison after twenty-seven years and ultimately ascended to the presidency of his strife-torn country.Drawing on exclusive conversations with Mandela and countless interviews with people who were close to him, Carlin has crafted an account of a man who was neither saint nor superman. Mandela's seismic political victories were won at the cost of much personal unhappiness and disappointment.Knowing Mandela offers an intimate understanding of one of the most towering and remarkable figures of our age.
What makes a champion? What does it take to be the best in the world at your sport? Rafael Nadal, one of the greatest players in the history of tennis, has the answers. In his memoir, written with award-winning journalist John Carlin, he reveals the secrets of his game and shares the inspiring personal story behind his success. It begins in Mallorca, a small island on the Mediterranean Sea, where the tight-knit Nadal family has lived for generations. Coached by his uncle Toni from the age of four, taught humility and respect by his parents, cherished by his exceptionally close extended family, Nadal has managed the uncommon feat of becoming an acclaimed global celebrity while remaining an unfailingly gracious, relentlessly hardworking role model for people in all walks of life. Since he embarked on his tennis career ten years ago, the twenty-five-year-old Nadal has had a meteoric rise, becoming the youngest professional tennis player ever to win all four Grand Slam titles. He collected his first one, the French Open, in 2005 at age nineteen, and from there went on to win Wimbledon, the Australian Open, and, most difficult of all, the U. S. Open in 2010. His memoir takes us behind the scenes, sharing the highs and lows of his career, from winning the Wimbledon 2008 final, described by John McEnroe as ¿the greatest game of tennis, he had ever seen, to the family problems that brought him low in 2009 and the numerous injuries that have threatened his career. With candor, heart, and intelligence, Rafael Nadal takes readers on his life¿s dramatic and triumphant journey, never losing sight along the way of the prize he values above all others: the unity and love of his family.
"Creo que, pese a la gran presencia de Mandela en la escena internacional, aún queda mucho por decir sobre el hombre, la calidad de su liderazgo y el legado que deja al mundo. Mi esperanza es que los lectores de este libro se lleven una idea más profunda de Mandela como persona y de porqué ha sido la figura moral y política más importante de nuestra época". --John Carlin Entre el 11 de febrero de 1990 y el 10 de mayo de 1994, Nelson Mandela pasó de ser el prisionero político más famoso del mundo a presidente de su país. Fueron cuatro años acelerados y fascinantes que dieron la talla humana y política de un líder excepcional. John Carlin, observador privilegiado de esa etapa, traza un emocionante retrato de Mandela en el que demuestra que se puede ser un gran líder político sin dejar de ser una gran persona, y que la reconciliación y la convivencia son no sólo deseables sino posibles incluso en las circunstancias más difíciles.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.