- Table View
- List View
This widely expanded second edition offers a compilation of robust, reproducible techniques for the conservation of a wide range of biological materials. It includes novel approaches and protocols that were not preservable when the first edition was published. The book begins with a discussion of long term ex situ conservation of biological resources, the role of biological resource centers, and fundamental principles of freeze-drying and cryopreservation. Each chapter focuses on the preservation of specific biological materials, including proteins, mircroorganisms, cell lines, and multicellular structures.
This book provides detailed protocols for all the latest methodologies used to assure the long-term biostorage of a diverse range of biological materials. Developed in expert laboratories, the protocols have been painstakingly perfected over the years to provide time-tested, step-by-step instructions that ensure robust and reproducible results. Each protocol deals with the preservation of an organelle, cell, or tissue type, and is accessible even to the nonspecialist because of its cookbook approach. Novel protocols can be readily developed with the help of the "hands-on" Notes sections. Cryopreservation and Freeze-Drying Protocols is an indispensable reference work for both the individual researcher, and all those who want to establish or improve biostorage systems in their laboratories. Its applications range from microbial culture collections, botanic gardens, and zoos to animal husbandry, aquaculture, medicine, human fertilization, and cell and molecular biology.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.