Galsworthy, best known for The Forsyte Saga, also wrote short stories. This collection contains: "The First and The Last", "A Stoic", "The Apple Tree", "The Juryman", and "Indian Summer of a Forsyte". This book was first published in 1918. British spellings and vocabulary, and old forms of words that are no longer used.
A failed revolutionary attempt drives the European Abel to seek refuge in the virgin forests of southwestern Venezuela. There, in the "green mansion" of the title, Abel encounters the wood-nymph Rima, the last survivor of a mysterious aboriginal race. The bird-girl's ethereal presence captivates him completely, but the love that flowers between them is soon blighted by cruelty and sorrow.<P> A master of natural history writing, W. H. Hudson forms an important link between nineteenth-century Romanticism and the twentieth-century ecological movement. First published in 1904 and still a best-seller after its reissue a dozen years later, the book owes much of its popularity to the mystic, near-religious feeling that pervades the story and to the beauty of Rima's halting, poetic expressions. Exploring a love somewhere between reality and imagination, Green Mansions offers its readers a poignant meditation on the loss of wilderness, the dream of a return to nature, and bitter reality.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.