- Table View
- List View
Scientists who do experiments to learn more about the world are practicing pure science, also defined as the continuing search for scientific knowledge. Engineers look for ways to use this knowledge for practical applications. This application of science is called technology.
This textbook contains lessons on matter, atoms and the periodic table, chemical reactions, solutions, acids, bases, and salts, nuclear changes, motion, forces, work and energy, heat and temperature, waves, sound and light, electricity, magnetism, communication technology, the solar system, the universe, planet Earth, the atmosphere, using natural resources, etc.
Intelligent and perceptive, this examination of the universal truths inherent in all cultures and religions is a powerful, scholarly analysis of Western esotericism's deepest teachings. John Holman contends that the perennial philosophy is not only at the heart of all world religions, but also of all major schools of thought and writings by the great thinkers and philosophers--no matter how diverse the presentation of their perceived truths. In an accessible way, Holman sheds light on a number of esoteric topics including: The Absolute and the One, the Great Chain of Being, the Philosopher's Stone, the Seven Spirits, the evolution of consciousness and the Eternal Now--paying particular attention to the subject of time. This thought-provoking book helps us to develop a better understanding of the nature of reality and our potential for transcendence--and revolutionizes the debate on the perennial philosophy.
Triangle Ray is a collection of short stories linked by the character of Ray Fielding, introduced first as a young black man coming of age in the 1980s and infatuated with his schoolmate, Marie. Against the wishes of their families, the two marry just out of high school, but the marriage falls apart within a few years as time makes them strangers to each other. Twenty years later, Ray is unmarried and still searching for a lasting romance, especially with Alma, whom he meets at the hotel where he works. Through his interactions with Marie, Alma, and others, Ray explores the motives behind the ways we retell our stories, and how we ignore or embrace the future that is already taking shape in the present.A keen observer of social factors and class disparity, John Holman writes with sharp prose and startling insight, and employs diverse form and point of view to examine issues of race and class within the context of Ray's romantic aspirations.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.