- Table View
- List View
Intended as a reference for students in high school and up, this two-volume set considers 24 important inventions and their inventors over the past 600 years. Each chapter reviews the background of an inventor (or group of inventors) and describes the origin and early development of the invention, introductory marketing, and subsequent activities of the inventors. The inventors' competitors are also profiled, and the sometimes controversial routes that the inventors took to their most famous creations are detailed. Volume I begins with the printing press, the steam engine, and food preservation, and concludes with electric power and vaccination. Volume II begins with Henry Ford, the Wright Brothers, and the radio, and ends with satellite communications, Bill Gates, and the Internet. B&w historical and contemporary photos are included. Klooster is a retired attorney who specializes in intellectual property law. The series introduces a new reference format and approach to popular culture, focusing on icons that embody a group of values, elicit strong reactions, reflect the essence of a time and place, and link different traditions and periods. Annotation ©2009 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.