- Table View
- List View
13-year-old Johnny Dixon is put in jeopardy when he and Professor Childermass try to find a robot made many years ago by an evil wizard.
In the roadside towns, the wizards picked up stories and rumors. One man told how frost formed on the windows at night, though it was only the middle of September. There were no scrolls or intricate fern leaves, no branching overlaid starclusters; instead people saw seasick wavy lines, disturbing maps that melted into each other and always seemed on the verge of some recognizable but fearful shape. At dawn the frost melted, always in the same way: At first two eyeholes formed, and then a long steam-lipped .mouth that spread and ate up the wandering white picture. ... Voices rose from empty wells, and men locked their doors at dusk. But Prospero and Roger Bacon refused to be daunted, although their road would take them to an end that mirrored their beginning, to uncover the power of THE FACE IN THE FROST.
[From the back cover:] "Chubby Lewis, the timid but dauntless hero of The House with a Clock in Its Walls, returns in an even scarier tale of magic and mystery. Investigating the contents of Grandfather Barnavelt's ancient trunk, Lewis and Uncle Jonathan discover an old coin. Lewis hopes it's an amulet whose magic will protect him from bullies. Together with his new friend Rose Rita, he performs a test to find out the coin's power--but neither Lewis nor Rose Rita is prepared for the astonishing and sinister events that follow."
Rose Rita Pottinger and Mrs. Zimmermann are transported back to 1828 to save the Weiss family from being destroyed by a wicked wizard.
A boy goes to live with his magician uncle in a mansion that has a clock hidden in the walls which is ticking off the minutes until doomsday.
Anthony Monday is delighted when his friend Miss Fells and her brother Emerson invite him to spend summer vacation at an old house on a desolate island. But fun soon turns to terror when Anthony finds a trunk that can transport the three of them to another world-a horrifying place where a maniacal group is plotting the destruction of the people of Earth. Can Anthony and his friends save mankind, or will their desperate struggle be the end of them?
When Johnny and the Professor discover an old heirloom clock, the terror begins. The professor vanishes and Johnny is left to solve the mystery alone.
Anthony Monday searches for the hidden treasure of the late town millionaire, Alpheus Winterborn, unaware of Winterborn's nephew's plans to steal the treasure away.
Johnny and Fergie track down their strange professor to a secret trolley that sends them back to 1453.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.