- Table View
- List View
Juan Ramón Jiménez, along with Antonio Machado and Unamuno, formed the generation of '98 which ushered in a renaissance in Spanish poetry at the turn of the century. Their work inspired the next generation of Spanish poets including Lorca, Aleixandre, Alberti, and Guillen. Juan Ramon, as he was fondly known, was very supportive of younger writers, commenting on their work and publishing it in magazines he edited. Juan Ramón Jiménez was a poet of solitude and lightness. His poems were ecstatic moments of life which rise up like sparks from a campfire. Rather than relying on rhythm and technique, he emphasized how a poet should live, realizing that only in solitude do man's emotions finally become clear to him. In 1956 Jimenez received the Nobel Prize for Literature. In awarding the prize the Nobel Committee honored Jimenez "for your lyric poetry, which in the Spanish language, constitutes an exemplar of high spirituality and artistic purity" and said "by being an idealist dreamer, Jiménez represents ... the highest Spanish tradition and honoring him is also honoring Machado and Garcia Lorca ..." The joy of receiving the Nobel Prize was diminished by his intense grief over the illness of his wife, Zenobia, who died shortly after. Jiménez stopped writing, living himself only until 1958. Jiménez dedicated over fifty years of his life to poetry. Each poem had a life of its own, a bit of the Tao running through it. He seems to have gradually become aware of the natural force residing in all things: a tree, a woman, a moonlit mountain ... This collection brings together a selection of poems from all periods of his work and is rounded out with a generous selection from Juan Ramón Jiménez's widely-admired prose work Platero and I.
In English and Spanish, this book presents a picture of life in the town of Moguer, in Andalusia, Spain, as seen through the eyes of a wandering poet and his faithful donkey.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.