- Table View
- List View
In October 1956, a spontaneous uprising took Hungarian Communist authorities by surprise, prompting Soviet authorities to invade the country. After a few days of violent fighting, the revolt was crushed. In the wake of the event, some 200,000 refugees left Hungary, 35,000 of whom made their way to Canada. This would be the first time Canada would accept so many refugees of a single origin, setting a precedent for later refugee initiatives. More than fifty years later, this collection focuses on the impact of the revolution in Hungary, in Canada, and around the world.
From A to Z all that is fishing is explained in this illustrated picture book using poetry and prose. Topics include angler, catch and release, fly-fishing, tackle, and more.
[From the dust jacket:] "Welcome to the Show Me State. It's Missouri and I think it's great! If you'll come along with me I'll show you Missouri from A to Z. What a fun way to learn about Missouri! Author and poet, Judy Young, and illustrator, Ross Young, invite children to go with them on an alphabetical adventure through Missouri. They will "show you" the Show Me State with poems, pictures, and facts. S is for Show Me: A Missouri Alphabet is a book for all ages. Young children will enjoy learning the alphabet. Older children and adults will learn about Missouri's history, geography, famous people, events, plants, and wildlife. Everyone, young and old, will love to look at the colorful illustrations and "show each other" the hidden details in the pictures. Flip through pages and enjoy the poems that "show off" the Show Me State." Satisfy your curiosity about any of the states in the United States by looking in the Bookshare collection for the alphabet books for the state where you live or the states where your family and friends live. Some feature picture descriptions including, P is for Potato, B is for Buckeye, S is for Sunflower, S is for Show Me, and C is for Centennial.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.