- Table View
- List View
A paralyzed stroke victim and poet tells her story of decades of being treated as a vegetable in a public hospital and her release from isolation when a speech therapist taught her to communicate. Julia Tavalaro had it all, a beautiful young daughter, and a loving husband, until two strokes left her in a coma for three years. When she finally emerged, she couldn't move her arms or legs, and couldn't speak except to groan. She had a tube that helped her breathe, and was being fed liquids to survive. For six years she was treated like a vegetable, until a speech therapist discovered she was cognizant, and so began her journey of learning to communicate.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.