New York Times bestselling author and renowned prosecuting attorney Robert K. Tanenbaum provides the first insider's account of the historic Wylie-Hoffert case, from the shocking double-murder to the wrenching interrogation of an innocent young man, and the heroic Assistant District Attorney who risked everything to unravel a disgraceful injustice. Here is a gripping chronicle of the unnerving crime that led to the Miranda Rights, and of the courageous stand that forever reformed the American justice system. It was a muggy summer day in New York when Janice Wylie and Emily Hoffert were raped and murdered in their apartment on Manhattan's fashionable Upper East Side. Months passed as their families grieved the unthinkable and a shaken city awaited answers. Finally, Brooklyn police arrested George Whitmore, Jr. , a nineteen-year-old with an I. Q. of less than 70. But his incarceration would ultimately entail a host of shocking law enforcement missteps and cover-ups. Whitmore had confessed. Yet Mel Glass, a young Manhattan Assistant D. A. not even assigned to the Homicide Bureau, was troubled by the investigation. With the blessing of legendary D. A. Frank Hogan, Glass tirelessly immersed himself in the case. So began an epic quest for justice, culminating in a courtroom showdown in which the Brooklyn arresting cops refused to admit their flagrant errors, providing a complete defense to a vicious predator. The outcome would reach far beyond the individuals involved. Including trial transcripts and never before published crime scene photos, here is a captivating depiction of one of the most intense manhunts of our time. Echoes of My Soul is also a testament to the power of individuals like Glass and Hogan, without whom the real killer would never have been convicted and an unjustly accused man would have been jailed for life. And we may never have gained the legal safeguards that protect us today. Also available on CD or digital download from AudioGOExperts Praise Echoes of My Soul"A strong candidate to become a true crime classic. . . . Brilliantly written and unfailingly riveting. " --Vincent Bugliosi"Echoes of My Soulhas the excitement of a great work of fiction and it is not 'based upon' a real case. It is a real case and it is about a real hero. " --Mark Lane"A compelling, page turning, disturbing true story. " --Professor Jesse Choper, Earl Warren Professor of Public Law Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California, Berkeley"Tanenbaum knows this territory better than anyone. " --Linda Fairstein
The book that answers the question on everybody's mind?with wisdom and authority that cannot be ignored
Vietnam and Iraq are now linked forever. But a straight comparison between the two wars does injustice to solid history. In this revised and updated edition ofIs Iraq Another Vietnam'historian Robert K. Brigham shows how the similarities between Iraq and Vietnam illuminate similar patterns of U. S. foreign policy behavior. A Vietnam expert, Brigham argues that the United States has turned to a foreign policy of expansion in times if external threat- or heightened threat perceptions- leading to limited Congressional debate and oversight. The results have been devastating. The massive financial hangover will be only one of the Iraq War's lasting legacies. The mechanisms are in place for change, but so far the U. S. has done little to alter the course of its foreign relations. It is crucial that we apply the lessons of Vietnam wisely and selectively- in this war and the future.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.