- Table View
- List View
Kadir (comparative literature, Pennsylvania State U.) conducts a genealogy of the major facets of the discipline of comparative literature by thematically addressing key concerns of the field in relation to the ideas of key world cultural figures from the 13th century to the present. The thematic chapters discuss the concept of the subject; world history and world literature; cultural space and identity; memory, culture, and memory management; orthodoxy, consensus, and conspiracy; poetics and ekphrasis (dramatic description); ethics; literature, the nation, and the state; and metadiscourse and spectralization. The themes are considered in relation to the following persons: Rashiduddin Fazlullah (1247-1318), Nicholas of Cusa (1401-64), Giordano Bruno (1548-1600), Fray Servando Teresa de Mier (1763-1827), Erich Auerbach (1892-1957), Hannah Arendt (1906-75), Zbigniew Herbert (1924-98), Italo Calvino (1923-85), Gao Xingjian (b. 1940), and Orhan Pamuk (b. 1952). Annotation ©2011 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
This bilingual anthology brings together a representative selection from more than a half century of this distinguished Brazilian poet's lifetime work. Along with previously translated poems are many others in English for the first time. The remarkable group of poets and translators includes Elizabeth Bishop, Alastair Reid, Galway Kinnell, Louis Simpson, and W. S. Merwin.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.