- Table View
- List View
If you start talking early enough, kids will listen. FOR MANY PARENTS, the talk is one of the most dreaded rites of passage in the child-raising experience--but it doesn't have to be. The key is to start early when talking about sex with your child. In Dr. Fred Kaeser's progressive approach, parents become their child's first resource for sexual information (instead of ceding control to peers, the school system, or the media) in order to have a lasting and positive influence over their child's sexual development. As the former director of health in the New York City public schools, there's nothing Dr. Kaeser hasn't been asked by kids, or by parents. And he has seen firsthand the results of our increasingly sexualized youth culture, and how it's making children grow up faster than ever these days. From sexting to cyberbullying, challenges and pressures abound--even for kids in kindergarten. This means that parents must begin laying the groundwork for basic conversations about sex when their child is as young as three years old. Parents then build their discussions on this early foundation, introducing more information at developmentally appropriate ages (for example, talking about puberty with your eight-year-old, and discussing safe sex with your ten-year-old). What Your Child Needs to Know About Sex (and When) goes far beyond the birds and the bees to discuss uncomfortable issues with a winning frankness and empowering attitude. It offers families the tools they need for navigating how and when to have positive dialogues about sexuality and helps parents learn to use everyday teachable moments. Open communication about sex with your children isn't necessarily easy, but it can be done; this indispensable book will guide you every step of the way.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.