- Table View
- List View
Architecture from the Inside Out: From the Body, the Senses, the Site, and the Community (2nd Edition)by Karen A. Franck R. Bianca Lepori
Introducing a basis for design that transcends fixed notions of style and emerging technologies, this book emphasizes feeling, moving and the experiential. Since the book's initial publication in 2000, architects and writers have been drawn to a more sensory approach to architecture. But there is still a need to encourage and to illustrate the pursuit of design, not as a project, imposing preconceived ideas upon a situation, but as a process evolving from the inside - from movement, sensation, surroundings and a dialogue between architect and client. The authors describe such an approach that places human life, experience and materiality at the centre of design and that seeks out opportunities for discovery, growth and transformation. Karen A. Franck is an environmental psychologist who has taught for many years in the New Jersey School of Architecture. R. Bianca Lepori is a practicing architect in Italy with many years of experience in designing houses and maternity health care facilities. Praise for the first edition: Franck and Lepori believe [architecture] should be more alive and take its character from the human body. When similarly designed from the inside out, rather than being austere and devoid of sensibilities, buildings would offer spatial sensations that connect with people. Beverly Russell, Executive Director, Archeworks The authors use. . . contemporary lenses as phenomenology and feminism to guide us on our journey through buildings. They trace the haptic qualities of architecture back through the design process with both daring and documentation. Deborah Gans, Architect and Associate Professor, Pratt Institute This book should be required reading for all architectural and design students as well as for all those individuals who are responsible for making decisions that influence our built environment. Wayne Ruga, Founder, Symposium on Healthcare Design and the Center for Health Design.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.