- Table View
- List View
The Atria Summer 2013 Beach-Read Bag: A free collection of thirteen excerpts from novels by some of our favorite writers.There's nothing that goes better with beach season than a delicious novel. With that in mind, we present Atria's Summer 2013 Beach-Read Bag: a free collection of 13 excerpts from novels by some of our favorite writers. Selections include: The Secret Keeper by Kate MortonThe Daughters of Mars by Thomas KeneallyThe Edge of the Earth by Christina SchwartzFive Days by Douglas KennedyChildren of the Jacaranda Tree by Sahar DelijaniThe Sea of Tranquility by Katja MillayForever, Interrupted by Taylor Jenkins ReidGolden Boy by Abigail TarttelinThe Lavender Garden by Lucinda RileyWith All My Love by Patricia ScanlonThe Mouse-Proof Kitchen by Saira ShahThe Longings of Wayward Girls by Karen BrownWaiting for Jules by Tamara N. Houston No matter whether you're on a plane traveling to your getaway destination or on your couch planted firmly in front of the air conditioner, we've got a great story guaranteed to whisk you away on a reading vacation.
The dark side of a seemingly perfect Connecticut suburb comes to light when one woman's long-buried secrets refuse to stay in the past, in this engrossing debut novel of psychological suspense. It's an idyllic New England summer, and Sadie is a precocious only child on the edge of adolescence. It seems like July and August will pass lazily by, just as they have every year before. But one day, Sadie and her best friend play a seemingly harmless prank on a neighborhood girl. Soon after, that same little girl disappears from a backyard barbecue--and she is never seen again. Twenty years pass, and Sadie is still living in the same, quiet suburb. She's married to a good man, has two beautiful children, and seems to have put her past behind her. But when a boy from her old neighborhood returns to town, the nightmares of that summer begin to resurface, and its unsolved mysteries finally become clear... Little Sinners and Other Stories earned a starred review from Publishers Weekly, which raved, "Brown has a talent for evocative detail, but her ability to explore the perversities of memory and desire in haunting prose is her greatest strength." Now, with this riveting debut, Brown proves herself a masterful writer of page-turning psychological suspense.
Winner of the Grace Paley Prize in Short FictionIn Pins and Needles, Karen Brown explores the dynamics of love and longing between mother and child, husband and wife, close friends, and virtual strangers, often peeling back the facade of a seemingly stable suburban life to reveal the secrets and transgressions that even good people can be guilty of. In "She Fell to Her Knees," Nell inherits the neglected house in which her mother died years before, and begins an affair with the neighbor. The narrator of "Apparitions," who has recently returned the blind grandson she was raising to the care of his mother, invites a confused young man into her home. In "The Ropewalk," a bartender haunted by her abandonment of her own child aids a customer in a struggle for custody of her daughters. A pregnant teenager in "Unction" comes to accept the reality of her situation while working a summer job in a bookbinding shop. Annie, the young mother with a tragic past in "Pins and Needles," leaves her infant daughter to go on an errand in a snowstorm, and picks up a boy she doesn't know. Evocative, sexy, and haunting, these are stories that readers won't soon forget.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.