A text for use in courses in rehabilitation counseling, educational psychology, and special education, also useful for practicing counselors and educators. Section I introduces the field, types of clients, theories, and legislation. Section II details five key career counseling content areas, and Section III addresses disability- specific considerations. Section IV describes local, state, and national resources and lists helpful phone numbers. Includes chapter-opening vignettes and application activities, and five appendices of reproducible handouts to use with clients. Annotation copyrighted by Book News, Inc., Portland, OR
Although there has been an ever-increasing awareness of the critical need for literacy skills in the United States (Chisman, 1990; Graubard, 1991; Sum, 1999), very little attention has been focused on the special challenges inherent in providing basic literacy skills instruction to adults with visual disabilities.
Skills for Success: A Career Education Handbook for Children and Adolescents with Visual Impairmentsby Karen E. Wolffe
Innovative materials for helping youngsters start on successful careers! Skills for Success details specific activities for preparing children with visual impairments for independence in daily life and success on the job. This comprehensive manual outlines how important capabilities can be developed through meaningful learning experiences at different ages. Contributors who are experts in their subject areas focus on suggestions for developing abilities leading to career and life satisfaction for preschoolers, elementary school students, and middle school students. Providing a wide range of information and resources, Skills for Success will prove an invaluable guide to teachers, parents, and others who work with children with visual impairments.
How do children become social beings? When a child is unable to observe visually and imitate how other people react and interact, this complex developmental process can become fragmented and incomplete. As a result, providing specific information, direct instruction, and opportunities for social interaction to children who are blind or visually impaired is critical to their growth and education. Edited by two groundbreaking educators and researchers, with contributions from other outstanding educators and researchers in this area, Teaching Social Skills to Students with Visual Impairments explores what theory can tell us about how children who are visually impaired become socially skilled individuals. It then presents a compendium of techniques and strategies for helping youngsters, from preschoolers through young adults, including those with additional disabilities, develop and refine social skills.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.