- Table View
- List View
Complete with excitement, new beginnings, and the promise of happy endings, the Howard Books 2016 Fiction e-sampler has a great mix of debut authors and bestselling favorites for you to try out and enjoy--for FREE! Step back in time with our historical fiction, fall in love with our inspirational romance, and enjoy our contemporary stories. If you would like to learn more about any of our authors or the titles featured, please visit us at HowardBooksOnline.com, like us at Facebook.com/HowardBooks, follow us @Howard_Books, and sign up to receive our quarterly e-newsletters to stay informed of all of Howard's new releases. With chapter excerpts from the following Spring 2016 new releases: Eve by WM. Paul Young Promise to Keep by Elizabeth Byler Younts Esther by Rebecca Kanner Come to the Garden by Jennifer Wilder Morgan The Cairo Code by Glenn Meade Bride of a Distant Isle by Sandra Byrd Brush of Wings by Karen Kingsbury Close To You by Kara Isaac Broken Ground by Karen Halvorsen Schreck Almost Like Falling in Love by Beth K. Vogt The Progeny by Tosca Lee
When a good church girl starts singing in a jazz club and falls for the music--as well as a handsome African American man--she struggles to reconcile her childhood faith with her newfound passions. Raised in the Danish Baptist Church, Rose Sorensen knows it's wrong to sing worldly songs. But Rose still yearns for those she hears on the radio--"Cheek to Cheek," "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes"--and sings them when no one is around. One day, Rose's cousin takes her to Calliope's, a jazz club, where she discovers an exciting world she never knew existed. Here, blacks and whites mingle, brought together by their shared love of music. And though Rose worries it's wrong--her parents already have a stable husband in mind for her--she can't stop thinking about the African American pianist of the Chess Men, Theo Chastain. When Rose returns to the jazz club, she is offered the role of singer for the Chess Men. The job would provide money to care for her sister, Sophy, who has cerebral palsy--but at what cost? As Rose gets to know Theo, their fledgling relationship faces prejudices she never imagined. And as she struggles to balance the dream world of Calliope's with her cold, hard reality, she also wrestles with God's call for her life. Can she be a jazz singer? Or will her faith suffer because of her worldly ways? Set in Depression-era Chicago and rich in historical detail, Sing for Me is a beautiful, evocative story about finding real, unflinching love and embracing--at all costs--your calling.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.