Important scientific discoveries and ever-changing guidelines for how to identify and manage patients with hereditary cancer syndromes are constantly evolving. This Third Edition of Counseling About Cancer is completely updated and expanded to feature five entirely new chapters on breast cancer, colon cancer, other solid tumors, clients and families, and genetic test results and follow-up. This is the only reference and clinical book on the market for cancer genetics counselors and other healthcare providers who must quickly assimilate complex and ever-changing data on the hereditary risk for cancer.
Perhaps you're one of the forty million Americans over sixty-five or the 76 million Americans called baby boomers who are joining the over sixty-five set at a rate of 8,000 per day. I'm one of you and would love to take you on a ride with me through a full year of occupying aging. I've been blind since birth and have had fibromyalgia for over twenty years, so I've struggled with disabilities and society's disabling attitudes long enough to have learned a few tricks of the trade. As you'll see if you tag along, sometimes they work and sometimes...I'm not sure who first said "if it doesn't kill you, it'll make you stronger" but I could have that as my motto. The year is full of delightful people and events, as well as tears and laughter. The other major characters in this journal are my Seeing Eye dogs past and present. They'd encourage you to read the book because then at least some good will come of my spending so much time tapping on the keyboard of my talking computer. Welcome to my year of occupying aging. I hope it encourages you in occupying your life at whatever stage in the journey of life you are.
When is the last time you've read an honest, funny book about living with disabilities? To the Left of Inspiration: Adventures in Living with Disabilities is just such a book. You'll learn from a woman blind from birth about activities of daily life, like talking to children about disabilities, traveling, going to church, and working. Great memoirs about amazing people with disabilities exist, as do hundreds of books about the diagnosis and treatment of a particular disability. There are also books for specialists about teaching, rehabilitating, or accommodating a particular kind of disability. Since the passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act, more and more people interact daily with students, customers, and clients with disabilities and want to do so knowledgeably and sensitively. The life experiences Schneider describes to exemplify her suggestions to the reader highlight the warmth and humor in all of our struggles to be humane with each other, whether we are temporarily able-bodied or disabled. Fifty-four million Americans have chronic illnesses or disabilities requiring them to make accommodations in the ways they live their lives. They have families, friends, coworkers, teachers, health care professionals, and church leaders who want to know what their disabled friend is going through and how to help. Schneider writes about living with blindness for over fifty years and fibromyalgia for ten years.
The author tells her story about growing up blind.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.