It has always been a burden for quiet, level-headed Tess Lanier to be the daughter of Nina Lane -- the gifted and tormented author who died soon after Tess's birth. Determined to be nothing like her exuberant mother, Tess, a collector of antique lace, lives in California, safe and anonymous, far from theKansas town her family once called home, where Nina penned her extraordinary stories. But when her dying grandfather asks her to go back, she cannot refuse. And on the banks of the Missouri River, she meets Ned Ravenal, a vibrant man who is living his dream, excavating a paddlewheel steamboat that sank one hundred and fifty years ago. Tess had family on that boat, and Ned uncovers their secrets that, in turn, unlock the mysteries of Nina's life. No longer afraid of the past, Tess discovers in herself spirit, passion, and richness as intricate as her lace.
To their respective families, Jack Wells and Amy Legend are outsiders. A free-spirited man-of-all-trades, Jack takes life as it comes-not at all like his supremely organized mother, the admiral's widow, and his methodical lawyer sister. Amy, a professional athlete with exquisite taste and golden beauty, has a glamorous career a world apart from her bookish older siblings and college professor father. When Jack's mother marries Amy's widowed father, they invite all the children to spend the summer at the Legends' retreat in northern Minnesota. They never imagine just how well Jack and Amy are going to get along-as affection unexpectedly flares into a burning attraction that threatens to damage already fragile familial bonds. Agreeing to deny their desire until the vacation is over-caught between long-simmering conflicts and clashing personalities-Jack and Amy find, nonetheless, that they are falling deeply in love. And passion this strong couldn't possibly wait until summer's end . . . no matter what the consequences.
They were young, they were in love, and the world was a place where dreams could come true, where the highest heights of' fame could be reached, and where friendships never ended... KRISSA Desperate to escape the stifling life of a small mining town in northern Minnesota, Krissa followed her brother Danny back east, where his musical talent brought Quinn Hunter into their lives. QUINN The son of privilege and the son of neglect, Quinn found in Krissa what he had always yearned for: friendship, warmth, and love. As the three of them experienced the wonders of success, they thought their lives were perfect... until everything went wrong. What happens, fifteen years later, when young love is renewed? What happens when old longings are tested? But most of all, what happens when two people cannot resist the song of their hearts?
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.