- Table View
- List View
Providing a structured programme for teaching literacy to children and young people with dyslexia and specific literacy difficulties, this book makes explicit links between theory, research and practice. It offers a structured, cumulative, multi-sensory teaching programme for learners with dyslexia, and draws attention to some of the wider aspects of the learning styles and differences of learners with dyslexia such as memory, information processing and automaticity. The book discusses: - the rationale for a structured multi-sensory approach - the development of phonological, reading, writing and spelling skills - working with learners who have English as an Additional Language (EAL) - lesson structure and lesson planning - alphabet and dictionary skills - memory work and study skills - teaching the programme to groups - ideas for working with young children Designed to help support any learner, ages 5 to 18, with dyslexia or specific learning difficulties, 'the authors encourage the use of the programme as part of the specialist teaching of learners with dyslexia whilst giving strategies for everyday teaching to not only develop literacy but to put learners with dyslexia in control of their own learnin the authors encourage the use of the programme as part of everyday teaching to not only develop literacy but to put dyslexic learners in control of their own learning. There are tried and tested strategies and activities provided, which the reader can use to support their literacy work. Particularly useful for teachers working with learners who have special educational needs and specifically those with dyslexia, this book contains everything you need to help improve and develop the literacy skills of the learners in your setting.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.