- Table View
- List View
Providing a structured programme for teaching literacy to children and young people with dyslexia and specific literacy difficulties, this book makes explicit links between theory, research and practice. It offers a structured, cumulative, multi-sensory teaching programme for learners with dyslexia, and draws attention to some of the wider aspects of the learning styles and differences of learners with dyslexia such as memory, information processing and automaticity. The book discusses: - the rationale for a structured multi-sensory approach - the development of phonological, reading, writing and spelling skills - working with learners who have English as an Additional Language (EAL) - lesson structure and lesson planning - alphabet and dictionary skills - memory work and study skills - teaching the programme to groups - ideas for working with young children Designed to help support any learner, ages 5 to 18, with dyslexia or specific learning difficulties, 'the authors encourage the use of the programme as part of the specialist teaching of learners with dyslexia whilst giving strategies for everyday teaching to not only develop literacy but to put learners with dyslexia in control of their own learnin the authors encourage the use of the programme as part of everyday teaching to not only develop literacy but to put dyslexic learners in control of their own learning. There are tried and tested strategies and activities provided, which the reader can use to support their literacy work. Particularly useful for teachers working with learners who have special educational needs and specifically those with dyslexia, this book contains everything you need to help improve and develop the literacy skills of the learners in your setting.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.