- Table View
- List View
A foster mother shares her story and that of the children she has loved and cared for over the years.
Daisy was five when she first entered Kathy Harrison's bustling household. Mother of three children by birth, three by adoption, and a handful of foster kids always coming and going, Harrison had ten children under her roof at any given time. But Daisy was, in many ways, unique. Unlike the parents of most of Kathy's foster kids, Daisy's birth mother wasn't poor, uneducated, or drug-addicted. She just could not take care of a child, and the effects of this abandonment on Daisy were heart-wrenching. Fear and anxiety marked her every move; she scarcely ate, she spun restlessly around her room, and she seemed to have a severe speech impediment. After two weeks in Kathy's loving home, however, Daisy began to thrive. An intimate portrait of foster care in America and of the children whose lives are forever shaped by it, One Small Boat considers whether a sense of home and belonging can ever be restored to children after they have been taken away. In this book, Kathy Harrison describes the lessons she learned from Daisy, lessons about resilience after heartbreak, courage after fear, and the power of love to heal even the deepest wounds.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.