- Table View
- List View
A foster mother shares her story and that of the children she has loved and cared for over the years.
Daisy was five when she first entered Kathy Harrison's bustling household. Mother of three children by birth, three by adoption, and a handful of foster kids always coming and going, Harrison had ten children under her roof at any given time. But Daisy was, in many ways, unique. Unlike the parents of most of Kathy's foster kids, Daisy's birth mother wasn't poor, uneducated, or drug-addicted. She just could not take care of a child, and the effects of this abandonment on Daisy were heart-wrenching. Fear and anxiety marked her every move; she scarcely ate, she spun restlessly around her room, and she seemed to have a severe speech impediment. After two weeks in Kathy's loving home, however, Daisy began to thrive. An intimate portrait of foster care in America and of the children whose lives are forever shaped by it, One Small Boat considers whether a sense of home and belonging can ever be restored to children after they have been taken away. In this book, Kathy Harrison describes the lessons she learned from Daisy, lessons about resilience after heartbreak, courage after fear, and the power of love to heal even the deepest wounds.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.