- Table View
- List View
AS INDIVIDUALS, CONGRESSWOMAN GABRIELLE GIFFORDSand her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, showed Americans how optimism, an adventurous spirit, and a call to service can help change the world. As a couple, they became a national example of the healing power to be found in deeply shared love and courage. Their arrival in the world spotlight came under the worst of circumstances. On January 8, 2011, while meeting with her constituents in Tucson, Arizona, Gabby was the victim of an assassination attempt that left six people dead and thirteen wounded. Gabby was shot in the head; doctors called her survival &"miraculous. &"As the nation grieved and sought to understand the attack, Gabby remained in private, focused on her against-all-odds recovery. Mark spent every possible moment by her side, as he also prepared for his final mission as commander of space shuttleEndeavour. Now, as Gabby&'s health continues to improve, the couple is sharing their remarkable untold story. Intimate, inspiring, and unforgettably moving,Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hopeprovides an unflinching look at the overwhelming challenges of brain injury, the painstaking process of learning to communicate again, and the responsibilities that fall to a loving spouse who wants the best possible treatment for his wife. Told in Mark&'s voice and from Gabby&'s heart, the book also chronicles the lives that brought these two extraordinary people together--their humor, their ambitions, their sense of duty, their long-distance marriage, and their desire for family. Gabby and Mark made a pledge to tell their account as honestly as possible, and they have done so in riveting detail. Both Gabby and Mark have lived large public lives, but this book takes readers behind many closed doors--from the flight deck of the space shuttle to the cloakrooms of Congress to the hospital wards where Gabby struggled to reclaim herself with the help of formidable medical teams and devoted family and friends. Questions are answered with unvarnished candor. How do Gabby and Mark feel about the angry political discourse that was swirling in America at the time of the shooting, and that remains prevalent today? How do they see government living up to the highest possible ideals? And how do they understand and mourn the loss of the people who did not survive that day?Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hopeis a reminder of the power of true grit, the patience needed to overcome unimaginable obstacles, and the transcendence of love. In the story of Gabrielle Giffords and Mark Kelly, we all can see the best in ourselves. As Mark and Gabby&'s friends have said: &"The two of them are America as we dream it can be. &"
Como individuos, la congresista Gabrielle Giffords y su esposo, el astronauta Mark Kelly, demostraron a los estadounidenses cómo el optimismo, el espíritu aventurero y el llamado al servicio pueden ayudar a cambiar el mundo. Como pareja, se convirtieron en un ejemplo nacional del poder sanador que puede encontrarse en la valentía y el amor profundamente compartidos. Su llegada al centro de atención mundial se dio en la peor de las situaciones. El 8 de enero de 2011, al reunirse con sus electores en Tucson, Arizona, Gabby fue víctima de un atentado que dejó seis muertos y trece heridos. Los médicos dijeron que era un "milagro" que hubiera sobrevivido. Íntima, inspiradora, conmovedora e inolvidable, Gabby: Una historia de valor y esperanza cuenta la vida de estas dos personas extraordinarias. Lleva a los lectores detrás de muchas puertas cerradas: a la plataforma de lanzamiento del transbordador espacial, a los vestuarios del Congreso, y a las salas de hospital donde Gabby luchó para recuperarse con la ayuda de formidables equipos médicos y de familiares y amigos dedicados. Gabby: Una historia de valor y esperanza es un recordatorio del poder que tienen la valentía y la paciencia en la superación de obstáculos inimaginables, y de la trascendencia del amor.el about the angry political discourse that was swirling in America at the time of the shooting, and that remains prevalent today? How do they see government living up to the highest possible ideals? And how do they understand and mourn the loss of the people who did not survive that day? Gabby: A Story of Courage and Hope is a reminder of the power of true grit, the patience needed to overcome unimaginable obstacles, and the transcendence of love. In the story of Gabrielle Giffords and Mark Kelly, we all can see the best in ourselves. As Mark and Gabby's friends have said: "The two of them are America as we dream it can be."
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.