- Table View
- List View
The Eleventh Edition of THE CHALLENGE OF DEMOCRACY continues to bring students the very latest research and events central to the field of American government by using a highly acclaimed, non-ideological framework to explore the theme of freedom, order, and equality.
THE CHALLENGE OF DEMOCRACY: AMERICAN GOVERNMENT IN GLOBAL POLITICS, THE ESSENTIALS introduces new co-author Debra Schildkraut to this stellar author team. This best-selling American government text is highly acclaimed for the non-ideological framework it uses to explore three themes: freedom, order, and equality as political values; the majoritarianism versus pluralism debate; and globalization's effect on American politics. Using an easy to follow approach, with chapters and subheadings numbered and organized by learning outcomes, and a new end of chapter "Assessing Your Understanding" section where students can can test their knowledge, the ninth edition provides a solution for teaching and assessing course learning outcomes. Extensively updated, this condensed edition includes new examples, figures, data, and current discussions. The authors include balanced coverage of Obama's historical presidency and coverage and analysis of the 2012 presidential primary campaign and election. This ninth edition of THE CHALLENGE OF DEMOCRACY, THE ESSENTIALS is an abridged version of the twelfth edition of THE CHALLENGE OF DEMOCRACY. See "Features" for details.
The Challenge of Democracy is well-known for its exploration of two themes: the conflicting values of freedom, order, and equality and the majoritarianism vs. pluralism debate. In addition, a focus on globalization and its implications helps students put American government in a broader context. Current coverage includes the latest developments in American Government, including the results of key races in the 2006 mid-term election. Student Achievement Series: The Challenge of Democracy is an innovative text and part of a program developed in partnership with teachers and students to meet the learning, study, and assessment goals necessary for student success. Through extensive research and focus groups conducted with a diverse cross-section of students, Houghton Mifflin presents a groundbreaking solution for skills mastery, understanding, and retention. Feedback from students has been instrumental in all aspects of development--from design and pedagogy to testing and assessment to title and packaging. These elements culminate in a textbook program that reflects the way students learn and study best. As with all texts in the Student Achievement Series, The Challenge of Democracy incorporates concise, to-the-point coverage; eliminates extraneous material; integrates pedagogy that reinforces key concepts; features a strong, supporting web component for review, testing, and assessment purposes; and provides students with real value for their educational dollar.
Party Systems and Country Governance focuses on the variety of party systems across the world and their effects on country governance and the conceptualisation and measurement of country governance. International aid agencies have spent millions of dollars believing that the presence of stable party systems contributes to better country governance. This study largely supports the assumptions of the aid agencies. To measure governance, the authors used the existing World Bank Governance Indicators for 2007 on 212 countries. They collected parliamentary party data for 189 countries. The authors identified fifteen additional countries that did not hold elections for parliamentary parties and eight countries that held non-partisan elections, seating no deputies by party. Together these 212 countries account for virtually all the variations in party systems across the world.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.