This fast-paced history entertains, informs and surprises. We think of the Celts as the people of Scotland, Ireland and Wales, but in 800 B.C. they were organized and prosperous farmers populating middle Europe including Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Hungary, and Austria. They were spiritual, had elaborate, fair, laws and worked in metals inventing plough-shares and horse shoes, and creating beautiful works of art. They were fastidiously clean and loved colorful, elaborate clothing, tales, songs and feasting. Centuries later in the Celtic countries we know today, they fought for nearly a thousand years to protect their culture and freedom. In Scotland and Ireland, they preserved art, history and literature during the dark ages. Driven from their homeland by the invading English, they poured in to the United States where they made major contributions to their new nation, in writing and signing The Declaration of Independence. Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, Ronald Reagan, and Bill Clinton, are some of the U. S. Presidents with Celtic roots. Andrew Carnegie and Alexander Graham Bell are examples of Celts who helped shape The United States in the past. Other notable Celtic Americans include Grace Kelly, George M. Cohan, and John Wayne, F. Scott Fitzgerald, The founder of Domino's Pizza and the CEO of Disney studios. This short history is a feast for history, trivia and culture buffs. The full bibliography and index are included.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.