- Table View
- List View
A listing of axioms taken from various speeches by the famous African leader.
Pioneer for the struggle for Afro-American liberation and for African liberation, prolific Black scholar, W.E.B. Du Bois is one of the giants of the twentieth century. Yet until very recently his contributions have been largely ignored. Today a growing number of Black and white scholars and students are reading and re-reading many of Du Bois's works and increasingly appreciating his contributions towards advancing the modern civil rights movement and the achievement of African independence. This volume the second of a two-volume collection is devoted to his speeches from 1920 to his death in 1963. The first volume covers the period of his earliest speeches in the 1890s to the close of the First World War. Nearly all of the speeches in these two volumes have never before been published in book form. W.E.B. Du Bois Speaks covers the full range of issues involving Black Americans from the era of slavery to the contemporary period. In these speeches, Du Bois set forth clearly and in his usual magnificent prose the various strategies in the Black liberation struggle. But as a profound believer in socialism and internationalism, he also made it clear that this struggle was linked with the interests of all who lived in the United States, regardless of color. An anti-imperialist from his youth, Du Bois repeatedly emphasizes in his speeches the need for all Americans to unite in the struggle against colonialism and for peace. Each speech is preceded by a brief description of the circumstances under which it was delivered and there are explanatory notes by the editor throughout the volume.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.