- Table View
- List View
What do an old Labrador from a loving family and a young Golden Retriever from a prison have in common? Moses, about to retire, doesn't want to give up his guide dog post, especially to a girl dog. He meets the new guide dog, Goldie, and is instantly suspicious, jealous and curious. Even though their backgrounds are different, they learn that they were both trained to do one thing: help a blind person. Two fifth graders, Ashley and Chloe, simultaneously develop a friendship after a rocky start. Ashley and the "in crowd" reject Chloe, because her mother's in prison. As they come to know Chloe, they accept her for who she is. Ashley's mother is blind and she and Chloe discover their lives are intricately connected. Ashley and Chloe learn about people, dogs, different kinds of blindness, the obstacles, the accomplishments, and varied careers of blind people. They learn about various kinds of working dogs. They look beyond differences and disabilities and find human qualities of love and compassion, sometimes in unexpected ways. The book tells the story of a Guide Dog's life from birth through retirement and compares being raised in a prison and a home. For grades 4-7.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.