- Table View
- List View
What do an old Labrador from a loving family and a young Golden Retriever from a prison have in common? Moses, about to retire, doesn't want to give up his guide dog post, especially to a girl dog. He meets the new guide dog, Goldie, and is instantly suspicious, jealous and curious. Even though their backgrounds are different, they learn that they were both trained to do one thing: help a blind person. Two fifth graders, Ashley and Chloe, simultaneously develop a friendship after a rocky start. Ashley and the "in crowd" reject Chloe, because her mother's in prison. As they come to know Chloe, they accept her for who she is. Ashley's mother is blind and she and Chloe discover their lives are intricately connected. Ashley and Chloe learn about people, dogs, different kinds of blindness, the obstacles, the accomplishments, and varied careers of blind people. They learn about various kinds of working dogs. They look beyond differences and disabilities and find human qualities of love and compassion, sometimes in unexpected ways. The book tells the story of a Guide Dog's life from birth through retirement and compares being raised in a prison and a home. For grades 4-7.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.