[from the back cover] RETURN TO THE RINGWORLD It's been twenty years since the quixotic and worlds-weary Louis Wu discovered the Ringworld. Now he and Speaker-To-Animals are going back, captives of the Hindmost, a deposed puppeteer leader. With Louis' help, the Hindmost intends to regain his status by bringing back such extraordinary treasures from the Ringworld that his fellow puppeteers will have to be impressed. But when they arrive, Louis discovers that the Ringworld is no longer stable...and will destroy itself within months. To survive he must locate the control center of the legendary engineers who built the planet. His quest becomes a wild and gripping venture, blended with the mysteries and spectacular technologies that only Larry Niven can conjure!
FOUR TRAVELERS COME TO THE RINGWORLD... Louis Wu - human and old, old; bored with having lived too fully for far too many years. Seeking a challenge, and all too capable of handling it. Nessus - a trembling coward, a puppeteer with a built-in survival pattern of nonviolence. Except that this particular puppeteer is insane. Teela Brown - human; a wide-eyed youngster with no allegiances, no experiences, no abilities. And all the luck in the world. Speaker-To-Animals - kzin; large, orange-furred, and carnivorous. And one of the most savage life-forms known in the galaxy. Why did these disparate individuals come together? How could they possibly function together? And where, in the name of anything sane, were they headed?
Sequel to Ringworld and The Ringworld Engineers. Something is wrong with the Protectors. Incoming spacecraft are being destroyed, vampires are massing, and worse. A lot can happen on a world with a surface area millions of times that of the Earth...and it does. But how do ghouls and vampires get to be in charge of such a world? Or are they really in charge? If no one is in charge, then who is destroying alien spaceships as they approach the Ringworld? And after everything he's been through in a couple centuries of life, including saving the Ringworld at least twice already, does Louis Wu really want to do anything about it? Some long alien names, otherwise
In this latest Ringworld novel, while Louis Wu is around, attention focuses on the next generation who must solve a problem as thorny as any facing earlier Ringworld folks. This is fast paced, scientifically interesting, and very well written.
The future has often said to be a terrifying and odd place. Chaz Kato can agree with that statement, he is a resident of Xanudu - an island the size of a city filled by some of the most affluent people on future Earth. Xanudu is full of secrets of problem technology and how it could not always work according to plan. Lenore Myles is a student who travels to the island, soon becoming drawn in by Chaz Kato. She uses his acces code to gain information about the truth of Xanudu's attractive façade. She struggles to know whom is trustworthy and soon is running away from the strange island, not knowing that she is racing for her life.
Nothing quite prepared telepath Larry Greenberg for mind-to-mind contact with an alien. Larry tapped the mind of Kzanol and that was his first mistake!
Jaybee Corbell awoke after more than 200 years as a corpsicle -- in someone else's body, and under sentence of instant annihilation if he made a wrong move while they were training him for a one-way mission to the stars. But Corbell picked his time and made his own move. Once he was outbound, where the Society that ruled Earth could not reach him, he headed his starship toward the galactic core, where the unimaginable energies of the Universe wrenched the fabric of time and space and promised final escape from his captors. Then he returned to an Earth eons older than the one he'd left...a planet that had had 3,000,000 years to develop perils he had never dreamed of -- perils that became nightmares that he had to escape...somehow!
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.