For younger children. From the Book jacket: All About Braille: Reading By Touch will tell you about Braille and finger reading. For those who cannot see or are losing their sight, Braille lets them read and communicate with others. Using special tools such as Braille writers that work like typewriters and Braille displays that hook up to computers, people can write letters and send e-mail. Learn more about the history of Braille and how it has opened the doors of communication.
Explores the life and career of Barbara Jordan, from her childhood in Houston, through her distinguished career in public office, to her powerful influence as a speaker.
Profiles the life of Betty Shabazz, the widow of Malcolm X, discussing her life as the wife of the outspoken civil rights leader and her role in the civil rights movement after his death.
Why do we celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr., Day? How do we celebrate it? How did this day become a holiday? Meet Martin Luther King, Jr.! This is an interesting book about Martin Luther King, Jr.'s special day. Other books in this series are available from Bookshare.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.