- Table View
- List View
An internationally renowned scientist sounds the alarm about our country's most critical health issue and provides a simple eating plan that can help stop this secret epidemic one individual at a time. Here are the chilling statistics: ·One in three American adults suffers from arthritis. ·Sixty-four million people have heart disease in some form. ·Fifty million Americans suffer with allergies and 20 million have asthma. ·More than 18 million people have diabetes, with 1.3 million newly diagnosed each year. ·Sixty-five percent of American adults are over-weight or obese and 16 percent of children are overweight. At best, these conditions destroy our quality of life; at worst, they are painful, debilitating, and fatal. What can possibly account for the sharp increase in these diseases over the last few generations? Is there a connection between these afflictions? Is there anything you can do to protect yourself? As this groundbreaking book makes clear, the root cause of diseases as disparate as heart disease, eczema, and asthma is unbridled inflammation. And the major culprit is right in front of us -- on our plates. Every day we make food choices -- some of which are perceived as "healthy" -- that introduce poisonous levels of certain fatty acids to our bodies. These fatty acids (found in myriad foods, from farm-raised salmon and eggs to roasted turkey) help to inflame our immune systems. Backed by twenty years of research, and by an unprecedented six clinical trials, Dr. Chilton presents two anti-inflammatory dietary programs: One is designed to provide a solution for those of us who currently suffer from an inflammatory disease, and the other is designed to prevent the rest of us from getting one. Complete with a new food pyramid and eight weeks of easy-to-follow meal plans developed in collaboration with a world-class medical school, the book also includes charts detailing which types of fish are the best inflammation fighters, which carbs you should enjoy or avoid, and the patented Inflammation Index, which gives you the inflammatory potential of more than 250 foods. If you're already suffering from one of these diseases and follow the Chilton Program, you will see improvement in your health in as few as seven days. If you think you've dodged this bullet altogether, this book will make it very clear that no one is safe, and it will convince you to completely change the way you eat from this moment forward.
"Lots of people have dreams, but C. Vivian Stringer . . . lives that dream, teaching others to rise up to meet challenges, turning underdogs into champions again and again--on and off the court. This is the quintessential American story, of a woman and of a family pulling together against the odds"--John Chaney, Hall of Fame college basketball coach.
Fitness trainer Debbie Rocker, a cycling world recordholder, is one of the original developers of Spinning and in 2003created WALKVEST, an adjustable weighted vest that tones and sculptsthe body by increasing resistance to any ordinary workout and this"next generation of functional exercise appeal" has received loudapplause from O magazine, Shape, Travel and Leisure and Esquire. Now,Debbie Rocker takes her special approach to weight loss. Training forLife shows the reader how to train their mind to think of exercise andeating right as an important, fulfilling part of life. She includesfitness and walking basics, dietary recommendations, additional upperbody workouts and a 14 day program. This guide is sure to convertthose wary of the latest diet fad by showing the simplicity ofattaining permanent weight loss. In Training for Life, Rocker showsthe reader how to use the body's most natural form of exercise toachieve total transformation in a mere two weeks. Her highlypersonalized workouts will tone muscles, build bone density, and speedweight loss and will provide the confidence and emotional balance oneneeds to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
From the Publisher Men and women ARE different . . . and this book from the founder of gender medicine uncovers the neuroscientific reasons behind age-old disputes between men and women, while providing a groundbreaking, authoritative, and reader-friendly guide to resolving these differences. Why won't he ask for directions? Why does she always want to talk about the relationship? Why can't he see that something is bothering her?* But perhaps the biggest questions Why Men Never Remember and Women Never Forget resolves are: Why is it so hard for men and women to understand each other . . . and what can we do about it? According to Dr. Marianne Legato, an internationally recognized expert in gender-specific medicine, male and female brains are chemically and structurally different. And scientists are now finding out how these differences cause us to approach problems and experience the world in such dissimilar ways. So how do we bridge this physiological gap? Dr. Legato provides strategies and tips for learning to "think" like the other sex in order to get past our differences-and offers smart advice for dealing with issues wherever they arise. This trailblazing book will enable readers to understand each other-in both personal and professional relationships-like never before.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.