- Table View
- List View
For Colonial settlers in Jamestown and Williamsburg who were enduring the hardships of carving a home out of the wilderness, Christmas was a reminder of where they came from and their hope for the future. But for some, finding the faith and joy necessary for celebration is a daunting task. Susanna's introduction to America is on a bride ship. Paul lost his livelihood in a fire. Raven is to be married off to a much older man. Mary grieves her husband's murder. Can these lonely souls open their hearts to the gift of love?
Sara McGee is not what Tom Haskins expected. The artist knew he was taking a risk when he reluctantly agreed to advertise for a mail-order bride but Tom assumed the woman who answered his ad would be more refined than the penniless and uneducated Sara McGee. Tom takes Sara under his wing but he knows he can never marry her, especially now that he's suddenly receiving attention from accomplished pianist Annabelle Loving. While Tom's sister is bent on transforming Sara into a lady, Sara knows she can never compete with Annabelle. Nonetheless, she finds herself drawn to the lovely mountain town of Bethlehem and to the artist who brought her here. But without a marriage to Tom, Sara knows she cannot stay. As preparations for Christmas transform the tiny town, will Tom come to understand the message of the first Bethlehem that the most precious gifts don't always come as they're expected?
Christmas is a simple matter among the Quakers of the historic Ohio River Valley, but can it be time to welcome love into four households? The Hall family runs an inn that welcomes travelers like Silas Jones who challenge their beliefs and woo their daughter. Widowed Lucinda Hughes mourns her husband's death, while Will Davis blames himself for his friend's demise. Keturah Wilkes is curious and outspoken among her community, which leads her to trouble among Henry Mangun's rowdy family. Susannah Griffith has only been an observer of her new husband's activity with the Underground Railroad until this Christmas Eve.
Lucy Bland has lived a simple, peaceful life, far from the battlefields of World War II. But during the summer of 1943, military men come to train on her beloved Seneca Rocks. With their intrusion, her life changes abruptly - especially when the handsome U.S. Army Captain Nick Landers captures her heart. Captain Nick Landers, of the Mountain Training Group, has been assigned to Teach soldiers rock climbing techniques. Soon after he arrives in the backcountry of West Virginia, Nick discovers that overcoming internal obstacles is as challenging as scaling a jagged cliff face. With his next assignment, Nick must move on from Seneca Rocks and from Lucy. If he returns, will she be waiting? And will she still love him, even if he's been changed by war?
Contemporary Christian romance set in Virginia involving a history teacher and a school fundraiser
Ark of Love by Lauralee Bliss Brian Davis is indebted to his best friend Bob for helping him start his pet store business, and in gratitude, he takes on Bob's sister, Rachel, as an employee. Rachel's skills in the pet store leave much to be desired, and her many mistakes could cost Brian his reputation and his business. Can love turn the situation around before it's too late? Walk, Don't Run by Pamela Griffin Frenzied barking leads Jake to Kerry's rescue when she accidentally locks herself outside on her sister's balcony. After a dual case of mistaken identity is cleared up, the two call a truce, but it doesn't last long. Later, Kerry finds an injured dog and seeks a veterinarian-who turns out to be Jake. A dog brought them together; can another dog reunite them when all else has failed? U have to say I Dog Park by Dina Leonhardt Koehly When a Welsh corgi bites Mart's Great Dane in the leg, Matt demands the owner pay the vet's bill. Lynne refuses, claiming her sweet Bamboo wouldn't bite a flea, let alone a Great Dane. Her confidence in her dog's innocence falls apart when she meets the new youth pastor, who just happens to be the Great Dane's owner. Lynne doesn't know what to do. As time passes more questions plague her: Instead of wondering about Brutus, why is she thinking about his owner? The Neighbors Fence by Gail Sattler Fluffy doesn't particularly like Fido, and their owners don't differ much in their opinions of each other, either. Whenever Fluffy and Fido see each other, fur flies, likewise with Heather and Bill; yet something draws the two sides together and they can't stay apart. Then one day, Fluffy and Fido get lost, and Heather and Bill must unite to find them before it's too late. Usually, with cats and dogs, never the twain shall meet. Or shall they?
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.