- Table View
- List View
The small island of England has produced some of the world's greatest literature. No other nation has given us the equal to Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Bunyan, or Tennyson. Perhaps the reason for this is that the introduction of learning and English literature began with the introduction of Christianity to England. Likewise, the rebirth of learning in the Renaissance, after the darkness of the Middle Ages, coincided with the rediscovery of the Scriptures and the Reformation of the church in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Reading is one of the most important and delightful occupations of the human mind. Literature is the expression of life in words of truth and beauty; it is the written record of man's spirit, of his thoughts, emotions, and aspirations. It is the history of the human soul, the expression of spiritual truth by means of concrete imagery. Literature has artistic, symbolic, and permanent qualities and is characterized by universal interest and personal style. The object of reading good literature, aside from the delight it gives us, is to know man, that is, the soul of man rather than just his actions. Books preserve for the human race the ideals upon which all our civilization is founded. The literature of a nation comprises the entire body of its thoughts, discoveries, memories, fancies, imaginations, reasonings, and aspirations as these find permanent expression in letters.
The stories in this reader have been selected from the readers of America's past and have been edited, modernized and many character values are woven throughout the stories.
This book meant for children uses an interesting topic like pets to emphasize pronunciation and word building.
This is a collection of interesting stories for young readers and many character values are woven throughout the stories. And useful sections like Phonics Charts are given at the end of the book.
By studying Asia first, and then the other continents of the Old World, the reader will gain an understanding of the events that led to the discovery and settlement of the New World--North and South America.
This reader has stories with many character values woven into them. Thought questions at the end of the stories aid in understanding the selections.
Students are introduced to the scientific method and encouraged to apply it throughout this Christian life science text. They investigate fields such as botany, anatomy, zoology, microbiology, and ecology with the goal of discovering the thoughts of the Creator through the ingenious structure and orderly function of His creation.
Stepping Stones is the third reader in the A Beka Book first-grade reading program. Students will enjoy these stories about children and animals while gaining fluency in reading.The following Christian virtues and character traits are incorporated in the stories: cheerfulness, cleanliness, industry, kindness, obedience, thankfulness, and thoughtfulness.
Selections from the Bible, Aesop, Longfellow, and Stevenson are among the character-building stories and poems in this reader. Exercises to improve vocabulary and reading comprehension skills are included.
Tiptoes is the second reader in the A Beka Book first grade reading program. It reviews the simple one- and two-vowel words introduced in Fun with Pets and then progresses to words containing special sounds introduced in Charts 6 and 7.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.