"This unique and valuable collection of games and activities, developed by innovative practitioners, fills a long - standing need for a book about teaching student with sensory impairments accompanied by multiple disabilities. I recommend this book highly for use in both inclusive and segregated settings." Diane H. Craft, PhD Professor, Department of Physical Education SUNY Cortland College, NY
Physical education teachers, adapted physical education teachers, and activity leaders in the trenches are always on the lookout for new, appropriate, and appealing games and activities for their students. When it comes to working with individuals who are visually impaired or deafblind, however, most of them confront what may seem like a greater challenge: how to in¬clude these students in physical activities and adapt activities so that they may participate fully along with others. In Physical Education and Sports for People with Visual Impairments and Deafblindness: Foundations of Instruction, Lauren Lieberman, Paul Ponchillia, and Susan Ponchillia contribute compelling resources for these efforts and for these professionals, as well as for recreational therapists, physical therapists, teachers of students with visual impairments or deafblindness, and anyone concerned with the full inclusion of children and adults who are visually impaired in athletics and the other essential activities of life.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.