- Table View
- List View
Complete with new beginnings and the promise of happy endings, the Howard Books Spring 2013 Fiction eSampler has an array of debut authors and perennial favorites for you to try out and enjoy. Step back in time with our historical fiction, fall in love with our inspirational romance, and enjoy our contemporary stories. If you would like to learn more about any of our authors or the titles featured, please visit us at HowardBooksOnline.com, follow @Howard_Books, or like us at Facebook.com/HowardBooks and sign up to receive our free monthly e-newsletter to stay informed of all of Howard's fiction releases. With chapter excerpts from the following Spring 2014 new releases: Sinners and the Sea by Rebecca Kanner Friend Me by John Faubion The Traitor's Wife by Allison Pataki The Thief by Stephanie Landsem Healer of Carthage by Lynne Gentry Vow Unbroken by Caryl McAdoo The Shepherd's Song by Betsy Duffey and Laurie Myers Fifteen Minutes by Karen Kingsbury Fearless Hope by Serena Miller Sing for Me by Karen Halvorsen Schreck Fair Play by Deaanne Gist Chateau of Secrets by Melanie Dobson Somebody Like You by Beth K. Vogt Visit HowardBooksOnline.com for more on these and other authors.
Will's enthusiasm over his garage sale disappears when he sells something a classmate had given him to someone who plans to give it to the same girl for her birthday.
On Lisa's first day at a new school, she and a bossy classmate begin playing a series of tricks on each other, using the class guinea pigs.
On Lisa's first day at a new school, she and bossy classmate Angel begin playing a series of tricks on each other, with the class guinea pigs as unwitting accomplices. The conflict escalates until Lisa devises a creative plan for converting her new enemies into friends.
Seaman, Meriwether Lewis's Newfoundland dog, describes Lewis and Clark's expedition which he accompanied from St. Louis to the Pacific Ocean.
'My Hero' to Be Chosen: Eight finalists will compete tonight for the title My Hero. The winner will wear the coveted gold Hero medal. These brave and courageous dogs will each appear with their nominator who will tell their story. There's Smiley, who fought a giant bull. Bear used his giant paws to save the life of another dog. Munchkin warned a gardener of a poisonous snake about to strike. Old Dog helped find people buried under rubble after a tornado. Buster pulled a baby carriage out of the path of a careening truck. Blue, who had never been known to bark, used his voice to bring help to his wounded master. Dopey's constant barking saved the life of a baby left in a sweltering car. Little Bit brought love and companionship to a nursing home resident. Each story is told in the unique, sometimes humorous, but always Compelling voice of the person whose life was changed by the heroic action of a very extraordinary dog. Betsy Byars and her daughters Betsy Duffey and Laurie Myers have joined forces to create dog stories full of adventure and suspense. Loren Long's paintings capture the heroic dignity of each of the dogs and heighten the drama of their special stories.
Shortly before suffering a tragic car accident, Kate McConnell wrote the simple but powerful words of Psalm 23 on a piece of paper to give to her wayward and confused son. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. . . . As she loses consciousness from her injuries, she wonders if she's done enough with her life. When a lonely dry-cleaning employee finds Kate's humble, handwritten copy of the psalm, it begins an incredible journey around the world, forever changing the lives of twelve very different people. From a soldier wounded in Iraq, to a young Kurdish girl fleeing with her family to Turkey, to a Kenyan runner about to begin the Rome Invitational Marathon, the power of the ancient words begins to take shape in various ways, drawing us into these stories inexplicably linked by the passing of the psalm from one recipient to the next. Eventually, Kate's paper makes it back to its starting place, and she discovers the unexpected ways that God moves and changes lives through even our smallest actions.ith beautiful prose evocative of master storyteller Andy Andrews's The Butterfly Effect, this story will touch your heart and remind you of the ways God works through us to reach beyond what we can imagine.
The students in Mr. Magro's class submit stories for the SOS File about their biggest emergencies, and then they read them aloud for extra credit.
Alex is running for his life. After making fun of the notorious bully Brick Johnson, he's now convinced that Brick is out to get him. There is only one way to survive Brick Johnson--take karate lessons and become a powerful sensei. But after Brick shows up in karate class and treats Alex with respect, Alex's picture of him begins to change. How can Brick be a bully and a nice guy at the same time?
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.