Poems focusing on universal emotions, as expressed by poets from diverse backgrounds, including Joseph Bruchac, Nikki Grimes, Lee Bennett Hopkins, Pat Mora, Janet S. Wong, and many others.
Poetry that makes us appreciate the magnitude of lives filled with courage, enthusiasm, inspiration. Lives: Poems About Famous Americans is the ideal introduction to sixteen American personalities who have changed the course of history. Favorite anthologist Lee Bennett Hopkins has brought together the work of a number of accomplished writers and poets, among them Jane Yolen, Nikki Grimes, and X. J. Kennedy, to portray such figures as Sacagawea, Babe Ruth, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, and Martin Luther King, Jr. Leslie Staubs portraits contain a poetry of their own, capturing a bit of history in the glint of smile or the reach of a hand. Lives is a book for all readers to savor. Notable Children's Trade Books in the Field of Social Studies 2000, National Council for SS & Child. Book Council
[from inside flaps] "A noted poetry anthologist and a leading children's book illustrator have collaborated to create a Thanksgiving confection that evokes the crisp autumn air, the joy of the traditional family dinner, and the warm festive atmosphere that this special holiday brings to everyone. In Merrily Comes Our Harvest In: Poems for Thanksgiving, selections by such prominent poets as Robert Graves, Myra Cohn Livingston, Margaret Hillert, Aileen Fisher, Marchette Chute, and anthologist Lee Bennett Hopkins himself combine to generate the sights, the tastes, the aromas, and the feelings that this rich and joyous holiday elicit in the memories of young and old alike. Ben Shecter's warm, humorous holiday scenes give us a visual feast, starting with the Pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving, continuing all the way through the actual preparation and the hearty eating, and ending with cleaning-up time. This is the fifth book in Hopkins's holiday series." Pictures are described.
A collection of poems evocative of seven geographical regions of the United States, including the Northeast, Southeast, Great Lakes, Plains, Mountain, Southwest, and Pacific Coast States.
From a devoted mutt giving "sloppy doggy kisses" to a tarantula munching happily on a cricket lunch, this lively collection of twenty poems celebrates the relationship between children and their pets. Popular poet and noted anthologist Lee Bennett Hopkins brings together many of today's best children's poets -- including X. J. Kennedy, Alice Schertle, and Karla Kuskin -- in this delightful festival of friendship. Jane Manning's bright and richly textured art cheerfully complements these playful poems.
A collection of poems about science by a variety of poets, including Carl Sandburg, Valerie Worth, and David McCord.
'These thirty-eight poems offer beginning readers a chance to try some verse. With drawings that pack a lot of action, a friendly book that will connect with everyday lives and lend a little music along the way. ' --BL. Notable Children's Books of 1984 (ALA) Best Books of 1984 (SLJ) Children's Books of 1984 (Library of Congress)
A collection of poems describing various weather conditions, by such authors as Christina G. Rossetti, Myra Cohn Livingston, and Aileen Fisher.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.